The LOML rolled up her Sleeves today...

Ned Bulken

Folks, I must admit, as Mark and Grizzz can attest, that the bathroom at chez Bulken needs a LOT of work. One thing after another always got in the way, for how long I shan't mention, but suffice to say there was Dust sitting on the outside of the linoleum scheduled to be installed. There was a temporary patch behind the toilet and sink and we've been living with plywood subfloor awhile now.

I call home to see if we need anything at around 16:00 today and the LOML says 'You're going to hate me' and laughs nervously. Other than the occasional temper flare up when I screw up somehow and lose my head completely, I try and be at least somewhat level headed. So this didn't upset me, I knew whatever it was, it would be something that Had to be done.

It turns out that one of the toilet bolts had broken off, Thankfully not at too inopportune a moment. :eek: :rolleyes: SO Lori had pulled a Ty Pennington, emptied the bathroom, and with our middle son't help Demo'd the vanity and removed the offending toilet bolt. (the Throne was in the Tub when I got home) she had removed the temporary patch from the wall, was in the process of cutting and trimming the greenboard to fit. Using one of my block Plane (just a chinese import don't cringe, the good ones are hidden) to :eek: shave down the end of the drywall panel! :bang: *sigh*

You'd have been proud of me, I didn't hit the ceiling, I just said calmly that Grizz could resharpen it (I hope, Grizz ole buddy ole pal....) and did she need my help tonight or could I go to Lodge tonight as I had planned. She said, grab some dinner and I'll see you when you get home. I only felt a little bit guilty as I drove off into the sunset, not really much at all, honest!

SO I get home 3 or 4 hours later to find that the commode is still in the tub, but at least she'd progressed to fitting the vinyl flooring in. I helped lift and then seat the commode, and finish putting down the flooring, plus pick up the debris (including the globe from the hall light which I broke with the leftover flooring :eek::eek::huh: ANd now we get to mud in the green board, put on trim around the doorway and so on and so on...

But we have a nice new floor, and the toilet works (but no vanity, as it had some water damage), and the shower still works fine.

Yeah Lori! attagal!

"Saturday at the latest"

Ned, Ned, Ned,

Boy, are you in trouble! ;) Either that, or you're the luckiest man I know! ;)

Now, let's see... if Doorlink called me at work and said "honey, I'm working on the bathroom, that I've been staring at for months now because you haven't fixed it yet, and there's stuff left to do..." and I then came home, looked at it, and then went out somewhere (that wasn't the home depot for materials to finish what she'd started....

Well, let's just say I can hear her mumbling to James even as I type: "That no-good husband of mine, here I am patching wallboard while he's out playing... I'm going to dump the doofus and get myself a *real* man who can do this while I sip my martini... and maybe this time I'll get one who actually knows what he's doing, and won't be buying a new tool every time I turn around! James, go fetch me his good plane from the shop!" "The nice one?" "Yes, the nice one! That'll fix his wagon. I'll laugh about that with my *next* boyfriend!" ;)

Yikes! Good luck! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I didnt see this thread. You have way to much going on. Lets get this knocked out along with the roof of the shop this weekend.:D

Randy

I didnt see this thread. You have way to much going on. Lets get this knocked out along with the roof of the shop this weekend.:D

Randy
it isn't as if we chose to do the bath now... kinda happened on its own
"Saturday at the latest"

Ned, Ned, Ned,

Boy, are you in trouble! ;) Either that, or you're the luckiest man I know! ;)

Now, let's see... if Doorlink called me at work and said "honey, I'm working on the bathroom, that I've been staring at for months now because you haven't fixed it yet, and there's stuff left to do..." and I then came home, looked at it, and then went out somewhere (that wasn't the home depot for materials to finish what she'd started....

Well, let's just say I can hear her mumbling to James even as I type: "That no-good husband of mine, here I am patching wallboard while he's out playing... I'm going to dump the doofus and get myself a *real* man who can do this while I sip my martini... and maybe this time I'll get one who actually knows what he's doing, and won't be buying a new tool every time I turn around! James, go fetch me his good plane from the shop!" "The nice one?" "Yes, the nice one! That'll fix his wagon. I'll laugh about that with my *next* boyfriend!" ;)

Yikes! Good luck! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

i opt for lucky. She is The LOML period, end of story.

That's a great story Ned!
I won't go into LOML's projects, but suffice it to say she doesn't complain when my projects aren't done.:D

Wes

hi ned and lori :wave:

sorry to see this post sooooo late :doh:

thats what i call a good girl ! roll up yer sleeves and getting it done :thumb:

and yeah we can resharpen that plane anytime you get in the neighborhood :rofl: ok so it might not have been the right tool for the job , but the job got done, and we can fix the tool (this time anyway) :p

I also missed seeing this thread earlier.

Ned, don't let that lady get away. Any woman with enough gumption to even figure out how to remove a toilet and patch wallboard, let alone do it, is a keeper. (Mine would just get on the phone and hire someone to do it, but she's a keeper in her own right. ;) She's looking over my shoulder and making me say this.

Sounds like you gotta a keeper there. My ex-wife, she would get hip deep in projects and think nothing of using a skillsaw to snap off a board, or jump on the tractor and move something, or even tear something down and remove it. I remember pouring some concrete once and she worked about halfway through the job in rubber boots and gloves and finally said "screw this." She kicked off the boots, rolled her pants up, took off the gloves and jumped barefoot and barehanded and started making concrete move and smooth!

The wife I got now, she is not like that at all. She was supposed to help me paint the new addition, but other than picking out the colors, that has all she has ever done. Her general MO is to check the progress every month or so, then pick out every flaw and complain ceaselessly about it.

I tell you, when it comes time to pick out wife #3 I am going to add a shop skills test to the wife try outs!!