That's gratitude for you....

Steve Ash

A few months ago I got a phone call from a guy telling me he went to the local woodworkers tool store inquiring to purchase a new lathe. He also asked if they gave classes on turning. They told him no but gave him my phone number and told him that I had just restored an old Oliver (some of you may have read about the resto) and I was the only local they knew of that might be able to help him out.

I told him I was no expert, in fact I was green at it as well, didn't know too much but he was welcome to come and use my lathe and tools. He wanted to come on each Monday night after that for must have been 6 weeks...I really didn't mind and I taught him how to make pens and bowls.

Well today I got a very nice Thank you card, a $30.00 gift card to Applebees and a $25.00 gift card to another store along with some bushings for my pen mandrel. He must have felt bad about wearing down those mandrels and wanted to replace them. Obviously he didn't have to give me anything, I enjoyed his company....(he's an old farmer and we talked tractors a bunch)

He told me he bought himself a new lathe and all the goodies he also told me he had been selling pens for Christmas presents and so far had sold 25 of them.

You just never know the generosity of your fellow woodworker as I was totally shocked by his gifts.

Excellent Steve and congrats. Always pays to be kind to someone as you know. Folks like both of you aren't so common these days.

Corey

Doesn't surprise me at all, Steve...

You've always gone out of your way to help people, whether it's woodworking or tractors... :rofl: :rofl: If he's selling pens, you "done good"!:thumb:

Sure nice of him, though, and a good story. Thanks!

I always think that woodworkers in general are a most amiable group of people.
Everybody except that Ablett fella. I understand he's a real unpersonable kind of guy. (Real photogenic, though...he looks like he'd be nice.) :rofl: :wave:

Steve, your post is a good example of how good things come back to you. Sometimes it's directly, like in your case. Other times it takes a convoluted path. Still, it comes back, or at least I sure think so. :thumb:

great story steve, best part about it is that you expected nothing. even though he was using your "precious" tools. keep it up. if more people were like you the world would be a better place. :thumb:

chris