A few pieces...

Spent the last few days making chips and heres the results.

These unfinished bowls are Russian olive (5"), elm (7"), and walnut (9"). Finish to be applied later:rolleyes:

HPIM1736 (725 x 311).jpg

Today I chucked up a big piece of Arkansas ash.....

HPIM1715 (600 x 581).jpg

and made a mess:eek:

HPIM1718 (417 x 600).jpg

shaped the outside.....

HPIM1722 (439 x 600).jpg

got sprayed by a few bugs while doing the inside:eek:

HPIM1725 (495 x 600).jpg

and got it ready to sand:thumb:

HPIM1729 (499 x 600).jpg

Here's the result, still needing finish.....ended up 13 1/2 long, about 10 wide and 6 tall.......1/4" thick....except for an oops at the bottom:doh:

HPIM1732 (600 x 442).jpg

Thanks for looking:wave:

Hey Barry, Great bowls, and a cool name as well. I got ahold of some green olive chunks recently (don't know if it was the Russian variety). It had beautiful grain and I had high hopes for it. I rough turned 3 bowls, bagged them and let them dry some, they all warped badly but were still salvageable, but all 3 blew out on final turning:( The wood seemed very brittle, if anyone has any tricks for turning olive, i'd love to hear them. Cheers, Barry

Thanks folks!

No special tricks on that olive....I just got lucky. The funniest thing is a guy from church asked if I wanted a couple pieces of olive wood. SURE says I......he brings them over and.........they were cut 4 or 5 years ago and stored outside.....punky, SPLIT, pretty ugly looking. I was able to save a few small bowls out of them....with the help of CA glue.

I could have sworn I'd commented on these bowls, Barry. Nice job on all all of them. That PM sure looks sweet with a big ol' hunk of wood on it. :thumb: