Lathe visiting my shop

I had some of my students at an event sponsored by the Union of all trades. ie: Electrical, Laborers, Pipefitters, Carpenters, Brick/Block Layers, Heavy Equipment Operators, Sheetmetal, Painters, Drywallers, etc. Anyway, long story short, one of my students in my Woods class called my attention to this lathe.

http://www.twistedwalkingsticks.com/index_004.htm

The guy was hooking to the trailer to take it home as next week he has a forklift coming to take it out of his trailer and put it back in his shop. He does the craft fair circuit in the summer making these with this lathe.

http://www.twistedwalkingsticks.com/index_006.htm

So talked with him a while, he has agreed to come to my school welding shop, back the trailer in and hook up to the 220 line and make a couple of walking sticks for us on site. My kids are fired up! Heck, I was just very happy that they recognized it for what it was!! Will post some pictures after next Monday which is when he is coming to "visit".

Anyone ever seen any lathes like this for sale? Typical price?

Never seen anything like it...but I don't get out much. That sounds like it will be fun and I'm glad your students are excited as well.:thumb:

That's what I need to replace my flimsy Terrco duplicator for making gunstocks. As neat as those walking sticks are, I believe he could make a bunch more money making gunstocks on that thing. If I see one for sale, I sure ain't gonna tell you about it. ;)

Frank from my short discussion with him, they were originally for gunstocks, shovel handles, and axe/maul handles. Am going to ask him if it comes up for sale how much and could I be in contention. Heck, the bandsaw mill could wait a few more years and take the cash towards this. :huh:

Jon, that is one honking lathe. That's bigger than the one I saw in Colorado this summer--and older. I'd love to see it in action. I agree with Tod - take lots of pictures.

Nancy (71 days)