Unemployment!

Ed Nelson

Hello All,

This morning was not one of my best! Or it could turn out to be a great day! I'll have to wait and see. When I went into the office this morning, I was met by the GM and HR Manager who informed me that because of the downturn in the market they were eliminating my position!

If anyone knows of any opportunities in the Charlotte and/or Hickory NC area please let me know!

Ed, think of it as an opportunity in the raw. Sorry to hear of this, sounds like they blindsided you. Happened to my brother about ten years ago, he was bummed for about a week, spent a year working on his place, found a job he has held since then and has never looked back. Here's hoping that is what you want and find.

Ed sorry to here that....I don't know your situation, but I was "let go" a few years ago and it was the best thing that happened to me. It made me realize that I needed to finally go back and finish my BS degree. I did that in just under a year and got at great job right away...that was 4 years ago and I'm still there. Sometimes what seems like a bad thing can become a great thing. Hope your experience becomes great too!

Dear Ed,

Yikes! It's a moment we all dread, and one many of us (including me) have been through. Hang in there, there's light at the end of the tunnel, even if it seems dark. One time, when I was going through it, I made some joke, and a Brit friend said "At least you haven't lost your sense of irony." I just said "hey, I'm from california, I'm used to having the ground shifting beneath my feet..." ;)

It's tough, but keep your chin up, things will get better... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Ed,
Tod once again has said the most with the least. He's our Abe Lincoln.:D

Keep your head up and eyes open. Something better will come along.

Wes

Ed

Sorry to hear that. FWIW this has happened to me twice and both times I bettered my position because of it. Everybody I know who has gone through the same thing has ended up happier than they were. Hope that your outcome is the same. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I'm really not that bummed right now. Got a couple months severance, so I have a while before I need to hit the panic button! I have been debating more and more about looking for something different lately, so I guess this is the kick in the pants I needed!

Ed

Make sure you understand the continuation of your medical insurance (if you have any) and what it will cost to keep it going.

This is very important, if something happens and you don't have coverage................ it could be bad.

Maybe there are some insurance agents here, they can tell you more about the specifics but it seems that insurance companies look differently at people who do/do not have insurance when they are considering a new policy coverage.

Jay

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt to prove I was there. It's good to network, like posting here, and checking with friends in the area. Don't forget to check out different business/industriies that might have positions similar to yours, but be in a different line of work. But take some time off to clear your head. I did that back in 1999 when my position was cut at an electronics firm. It was nice to get caught up on some activities. GOOD LUCK! Jim.

Ed, what a bummer!!

You also might want to think about getting copies of your personnel records. Depending on your age (age discrimination), ethnicity (ethnic discrimination), or other factors--including your performance record, you might want to see an attorney if they have "laid you off" in violation of employment laws. Unless you did something really bad or you've been on probation, you might have a cause of action.

PLEASE NOTE that I said "might" - don't take this to be any sort of legal advice. Lawyers do that--not paralegals.

Nancy (71 days)

Been there...............not fun..........but it turned out OK.

My mother had a saying:

"God does not close a door without giving you one to open"

So based on her saying:

ONE DAY I opened 23 doors.............I filled out 23 applications , the next day had a job that I keep for 18 years and retired from there.

Ed

Make sure you understand the continuation of your medical insurance (if you have any) and what it will cost to keep it going.

This is very important, if something happens and you don't have coverage................ it could be bad.

Maybe there are some insurance agents here, they can tell you more about the specifics but it seems that insurance companies look differently at people who do/do not have insurance when they are considering a new policy coverage.

Jay

Thanks Jay! I am covered through the end of the month and my wife is looking at moving us to her company. Other than that I may have to shop around! So if there are any health insurance agents out there, I'll be interested in hearing what you have available!

Ed, what a bummer!!

You also might want to think about getting copies of your personnel records. Depending on your age (age discrimination), ethnicity (ethnic discrimination), or other factors--including your performance record, you might want to see an attorney if they have "laid you off" in violation of employment laws. Unless you did something really bad or you've been on probation, you might have a cause of action.

PLEASE NOTE that I said "might" - don't take this to be any sort of legal advice. Lawyers do that--not paralegals.

Nancy (71 days)

Thanks Nancy, I don't think I was targeted in any way, but I may indeed ask for the records. They also released the director of operations and one of the sales guys! Business is down, but it seems they are cutting the wrong positions.:dunno:

Been there. Best thing that ever happened.
Good Luck:thumb:

That's what I'm hoping for!