23 guage Pinners

Jack Lemley

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a "Pinner" soon and have read a few reviews on them. The Grex & Cadex come out on top. I am looking for 2" max length. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks
Jack

I have the Senco, which only shoots up to 1" pins. I like it a lot, and use it frequently. I also notice that the 23 ga. pins are very easily deflected in hardwood, and have to wonder how practical the longer ones really are.

I use my Accuset 18 ga. for longer pins/brads, and even they deflect.

The Senco is a great little gun. Lightweight, and reliable. Don't recall it ever jamming. Again, a 1" limitation, but it's also only about half the price of the Grex.

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a "Pinner" soon and have read a few reviews on them. The Grex & Cadex come out on top. I am looking for 2" max length. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks
Jack

2" seems an unrealisticly long pin for a 23 gauge gun. Apart from the inevitable deflection that Jim mentions, why would you want to fire such a long pin from a tool designed for fixing small pieces of trim and mouldings?

I use the Porter-Cable 23 gauge with 5/8th headless pins - it's never let me down and I've never felt the need for longer fastenings. Ultimately, the purpose of the pin is purely to hold the work in place until the glue has set.

For everyday jobs I have a PC 18 gauge brad nailer which takes up to a 2" nail. However, I don't go longer than 1 1/2" because of the tendancy of long brads to deflect and pop out the side of your work. And sometimes into you finger! :doh:

For big framing jobs I have a PC 16 gauge machine.

Different jobs require different tools - a 23 gauge pinner is great for fastening trim & beading but that's about it. There's no need to go above about a 5/8ths pin IMHO.

I wouldn't go over an inch with 23 gage. From there to 1 1/2" with 18 gage then to 15 gage on up to 2".

I have several Senco guns that were my Dads as well as Grizzly 18 gage nail & stapel guns. The Grizzly 18 gage nail gun is my most used gun. My 23 gage pinner which I didn't feel I would use a lot is a Harbor freight gun & works pretty good I think I paid $25 for it.

2" sound more like a nailer but I can relate to needing longer pins. I shoot a fair amount of 1" - 1 3/8" pins (very rarely any longer). No matter how good the pinner, once the pin enters the wood all the pinner is doing is pushing . . . really fast. My solution for the deflection with longer pins was to go to a 21 gauge. The pin is just enough bigger to do the job without wandering (blowout) but doesn't leave that much bigger of a hole. YMMV.

2" Pinner

Thanks for all the insight guys!

as to "why the 2" model"? I would use the 2" model for installing trim such as basre and crown mlding.

Thanks
Jack

jack,
a 23ga is not the right choice for installing trim!
for shooting through trim and drywall into a stud i use 2-1/2" 15ga trim nails with a slight head.
for shooting casing to jambs i use 1-1/4" 18ga brads with a slight head unless the casing is fat then i`ll jump to 1-1/2" 15 ga.
a headless pinner like a 23ga is only designed to hold small mouldings, usually untill the glue drys.

Hi Jack,
Like Tod says, for molding etc, a pinner won't do. I made a bookcase and tried pinning 3/4 face frame on, pins don't hold well enough.

Now, I have a PC 23 gauge pinner that I do like alot, but it's really for holding molding on while glue sets, or making jigs and small stuff. But I wouldn't try to do trim carpentry with it.

Ken

Omer. I think that's the spelling. Anyway, that's what I have used for some time now, and I like it. I don't shoot anything longer than 1" usually, though it handles pins from 5/8 through 1 1/8". I don't know why anyone would have a use for a 2" pin, but that'd be up to them.

have the cadex

and i too agree with tod on the uses of one, trim small stuff and holding glue jionts. the cadex is made well and i got deal on it but feel the others are just as good in most cases senco, grex. omer as well. one thing you need to do is find a source for the pins first. then get the gun that you can get ammo for:)

Pinner

Todd,

What brand nailers do you use/recommend for trim and casings? Sounds like I need a pinner w/max length about 1 inch.

Thanks
Jack

jack, i shoot senco guns...more important than what brand somebody else uses is what brand is serviced locally for you..find a local fastener house and buy what they`ll stand behind. my guy sells all the major brands but free service is limited to paslode and senco.....i`m the kind of guy who can tear up a crowbar in a sandbox so service, especially free service, is very important to me.;)

I had the porter cable and was not happy with it . I bought the Grex and I like it > I used the Grex for a couple of years . As far as pinners go its the best I have used .

Pinner

Thanks Todd,
Good advice!
Jack
jack, i shoot senco guns...more important than what brand somebody else uses is what brand is serviced locally for you..find a local fastener house and buy what they`ll stand behind. my guy sells all the major brands but free service is limited to paslode and senco.....i`m the kind of guy who can tear up a crowbar in a sandbox so service, especially free service, is very important to me.;)