Cabriolet Leg Question

Ed Nelson

I have a small table that I'm planning to build and I'm trying to work out some design ideas in my head. I would like to use cabriolet legs on the front and was wondering if you guys use solid stock for that style or do you laminate smaller stock?

Ed,

I've only built them once and used solid stock. I think you could laminate if you were using something like oak, but I was using mahogany and just couldn't see it.

Solid is best, any lamination will really show the different grains directions etc when you cut the legs. I guess you could get lucky and make something neat looking, but, I'd still go with the solid material.

Cheers!

ed, you can use either, if you want to laminate try to grain match as close as possible. if you`re going to color the wood it`s pretty easy to mask the laminations, with a clear finish it`s just about impossible to completely hide `em.

Planning on using black walnut for the legs and skirts. The top will be some spalted ambrosia maple I have. The grain match will be tough and with a couple sawyers in the area, I'll probably go with solid stock on the legs.