Cherry Burl Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is a piece of spalted cherry burl, and my second bowl in a row to end up with an inclusion in the bottom. I would have liked the foot to be a bit smaller, but I wanted to preserve the inclusion (and avoid blowing the bowl up). I also left some small cracks on the rim as-is. I really liked turning this stuff, so I'm keeping my eyes open for more cherry burl. This one is about 6 1/4" wide by 2 4/4" tall. More of the Antique Oil and spray lacquer finish, buffed with the three wheel system like just about everything else I do.

Bowl 031 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 031 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 031 - 05 800.jpg Bowl 031 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 031 - 06 800.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome as usual.

Very nice Vaughn, but I don't see any spalting. Are you referring to the sap pockets perhaps? They are a characteristic of wild cherry around here, and while most furniture makers avoid it as much as possible, I like to find it for both small furniture pieces and especially for turnings. This one is about four years old old or so.

wildcherry01.jpg

It has been that long since I got some of this stuff! :eek:

Bill

Vaughn, I like it a lot, a real beauty, saw the small crack.
You're lucky with getting not more cracks.
Turning cherry is for me always a gamble. :thumb:

Very nice Vaughn, but I don't see any spalting. Are you referring to the sap pockets perhaps? ...
Yeppers, you're correct. After doing a bit more learning, I see was mistaken about the spalting. Thanks for verifying it...I'll fix the thread title. :eek: (Very nice bowl/vase too, Bill.)