Finally Got Some Turning Done - Pens

Gord Rock

Been wanting to try turning some pens for quite awhile but haven't had the chance to turn anything for a long time. So it's great to have something completed that I'm not afraid to show. :thumb::wave:
The first pen I turned is the one on the left, from an acrylic blank. Was surprised it worked out but I think the shape is far too plain. I've been playing with different shapes since then.
Second from the left is Purpleheart with two bands of Cherry.
In the middle is Maple with 2 bands of Cherry and 2 bands of Purpleheart.
Fourth pen is Purpleheart with four bands of Maple.
Fifth is Purpleheart with 2 bands of Cherry and 2 bands of Maple.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE FOR A FULL-SIZE WINDOW

Sorry about the photo; photography is not a big thing with me.

Any comments, criticisms or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for looking!:D

Nice pens! :thumb:

I'm assuming that you made the blanks for the pens?

The inlay, that is what is called a "Celtic Knot" or something :huh: (Stu scratches his head, trying to remember...)

Very well done indeed! :D

Great looking pens! You may want to consider not using the center band with the larger diameters with the slimline kit. You can make your own center band and not have such a narrow waist. Just a suggestion!

Great job, Gord. I especially like the Celtic knots. (I've got to make one of those one of these days for my BIL the Viking re-enactor.)

My personal preference is for plain-shaped pens, but you should make the shape to suit your preferences...like you did. :)

Thanks for the positive comments, guys. I appreciate it.:)

Great looking pens! You may want to consider not using the center band with the larger diameters with the slimline kit. You can make your own center band and not have such a narrow waist. Just a suggestion!

Thanks, Ed, I wouldn't have thought of that.:thumb: I'll have to give that a try and if it works out I'll post a photo. Of course, if it doesn't work out I may forget to display proof of the disaster.:D :rofl:

.....Gord