OH Balogna

Ken Garlock

and any other expressions that you can conjure up.

Several weeks ago I got a mailer from our local phone company, AT&T. They said with pictures and good words that DSL is now available. I had some other items on the fire so I did nothing but check on-line, and yes, I qualified for DSL. Cool, I thought. So today, when the calender finally cleared, I tried to sign up for the DSL. NOW it is not available.:eek:

So I get on the land-line to AT&T, and talked to a nice lady in customer service. She did a check and agreed that it is not available at my location. I asked her to open a trouble ticket as to why I could not get DSL after the advertisement. I told her that a lineman had told me that there was a new DGAM(digital gain amplifier multiplexer) about a mile up the road from me. She thought that the so many people had ordered that all the "ports" were filled. Anyway, she opened a ticket to find out what is going on, so need to call back in 48 hours.

Intense disgust. :(

Well that sucks eh?

Hopefully they will be smart enough to add more ports as there is obviously demand for it.

We have ADSL here, (same thing really) and it is sweet, but we are looking at going to fiber optic, as we can pull down really really fast speeds and the price will work out a bit cheaper than the ADSL:thumb:

Hope they get you sorted.

Line of site it is 60m away, but we looked at if a while back, and the hardware, that would have to be outside, as both buildings are freaking concrete block bunkers, was not cheap, plus, the L shop has data that we would not want "out there" on a wireless, I know, they can secure it, but I figure why take the risk?

Cheers!

out here in the hinterlands at least I get cable modem service, but would prefer DSL truth be told, more because I don't like the carrier's business tactics than their service issues. (cable company wouldn't take Heck No for an answer when I shut down the cable and switched over to Directv a couple of years back.)

My neighbor and I did a lot of test regarding speed a couple of years ago and DSL did not even come close to cable highspeed even though DSL advertised a faster speed. I think that might have been due to the distance and number of customers that were upline from us or maybe not. I will never go back to DSL as long as cable is available even though I have been really mad at the cable company over the years. Of course if you have no option that is a different story.

My neighbor and I did a lot of test regarding speed a couple of years ago and DSL did not even come close to cable highspeed even though DSL advertised a faster speed. I think that might have been due to the distance and number of customers that were upline from us or maybe not. I will never go back to DSL as long as cable is available even though I have been really mad at the cable company over the years. Of course if you have no option that is a different story.

I have heard that cable is very fast. The nearest cable is about 1 mile away in a new "project". I have used Dish Network since the first year it was available, and the only complaint I have is that they couldn't get a deal with MLB to broadcast the games this past season.

I have been considering Wild Blue satellite internet, but I have concern regarding their customer service and rain-outs.

I should have remembered that old saying "strike while the iron is hot." Instead, I tried to plan what I was doing. That will learn me.:eek:

I will bet a virtual cup of coffee that I will not get the answer I want to the trouble ticket when I call back to AT&T CS.

Ken, do you know if you have good cellular coverage in your area? If so, consider an EV-DO broadband card from one of them. We have one from sprint and are very happy with it. The speeds are DSL-like with none of the lag we used to get with Direcway satellite and much better reliability.

Bologna is turning into Steak.

This morning I was going to call back to AT&T to learn the status of my trouble ticket. Just for fun I decided to see if my DSL was now available for my address.

YES, YES, it said it is!:D:D

Our friends at AT&T must have installed another rack of ports down the road. :thumb:

I immediately clicked through the order process, and now have a tentative install date of Tuesday, 10/23.

My experience, and opinion, are very much the same. I have cable at home (3 MPS) and find it much better than the DSL we had at church. I finally convinced the church staff to go to cable and we got the commercial account - 5 MPS!! Very fast, very cool. Just wish it were less expensive.