No Place For a Resaw....?

Stuart Ablett

You know, since I built the Phoenix bandsaw, I've had a few people wonder if I still need Big Blue, my resaw, well, I have a case in point to showcase just how well a dedicated resaw can work..........

big_blue_cuts1.JPG
Big old dry chunk of Red Keyaki, which is much like Elm, and hard as concrete when dry, I need to slice this in half and make some HFs from it.......

big_blue_cuts2.JPG

Yep, dead easy, and quick :thumb:

I think Big Blue will have a spot in the Dungeon for some time to come!

(There was a flat spot on the bottom of the piece, that I put there with a chainsaw when I harvested the wood).

PS........... Don't try this at home :D

Last edited:
You know, since I built the Phoenix bandsaw, I've had a few people wonder if I still need Big Blue, my resaw, well, I have a case in point to showcase just how well a dedicated resaw can work..........

Good case in point, Stu, and ANYONE that would even question the reason for having a dedicated Resaw Bandsaw in addition to a bandsaw that will handle the other numerous operations that a bandsaw with smaller blade capabilities can do, just doesn't have a "Grasp" of the situation,:doh: Annnnnnnd........ has obviously not watched ALL the episodes of Norm either, or they would never have asked that question.:D

NICE Job, Big Blue.:thumb:

PS: Did you ever get all the problems with the tires worked out, & how is the Phoenix working now? Is it completely finished, or...........

Carter never got back to me, I sent them a number of e-mails but....... :dunno:

I still do not understand exactly what happened to the rubber tires, why they were so badly affected by the lacquer thinner, especially as Carter's instructions tell you to use it to clean the wheels, but do not say anything about using too much...... :huh:

Anyway, I just went back to the neoprene tires, with a thin couple of wraps of tape around the middle, seems to work just fine.

I've got a goose neck lamp on it that needs to be wired in correctly and some other tweaks, but right now it works really well.

Cheers!

Stu,

Big Blue sure is a beast of a machine! :eek:

How big are the wheels? What is your max resaw height?

Well, Big Blue is not much bigger than a normal 14" bandsaw:dunno:

The resaw is right on 12", the wheels are just a smidgen over 14", IIRC.

I sure like it, even more so that I've got the Phoenix to handle the curvy bandsaw duties! :D

Don't know about the saw but . . .

that is a STUNNING chunk-o-wood brother ! I've got an eyetooth I can part with for THAT ! Whats in it's future, may I ask ?

Thanks Steve

I has been cut into rounds, most likely will become hollow forms, that way I hope to see that lovely flame wood on the top and the bottoms...........

Oh yeah, first commissioned work as well :D

Stu, You can never have to many tools. Haveing one ste for resawing would save anyone tons of time and stress by not having to resetup the machine every time they want to slice boards. How wide of a blade will big blue take? That one on there looks really wide.

Hi Al, I agree with you, but there were some (not here) who were asking if Big Blue was going on the auction block now.........NO WAY! :D

The blade is 63mm wide, or just under 2 1/2", IIRC.

Cheers!