Bye-Bye B&D

Frank Fusco

Sorry Jason. I've had to make a decision. Hard in this case for two reasons. I hate waste and the items in question were given as gifts. I place great value on gifts and try to treasure them. But, in this case, they are now useless. I have two B&D 12V Firestorm drills. One has a sander attachment and a jig saw also. A total of four batteries and two chargers. Plus, two (completely useless) carry cases. I really like the drills and the 12V met most of my needs. Two of the batteries are still working, sorta. But the chargers are both bad. I see quite a bit of B&D equipment on eBay with the comment that the chargers offered are bad. Cost of rebuilding the chargers and batteries exceeds what I consider feasible. I've come to the conclusion that I must dump these, otherwise, good drills and buy a new replacement. Vance Packard....where are you when we really need you? My replacement will probably be a 14V DeWalt based on the poll done here. Downside with the DeWalt is exorbitant price of extra batteries. I do like having a back-up.
Not sure what I'll do with this set. Maybe offer on eBay.

Attachments

• B&D drills.jpg
    B&D drills.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 39
Frank,
If you're buying the DeWalt 14.4v system (that's what I have, too) you should know that the D4eWalt charger will handle your old B-D batteries. The DeWalt chargers generally handle 7.2v ~ 18v batteries, and the B-D configuration is physically the same as the DeWalt. I also have an old Firestorm drill and flashlight, and I use the DeWalt charger to keep them going.

Hope this helps.

Frank,
If you're buying the DeWalt 14.4v system (that's what I have, too) you should know that the D4eWalt charger will handle your old B-D batteries. The DeWalt chargers generally handle 7.2v ~ 18v batteries, and the B-D configuration is physically the same as the DeWalt. I also have an old Firestorm drill and flashlight, and I use the DeWalt charger to keep them going.

Hope this helps.

:D FW comes through again. Tools saved, horizions expanded. :)
Jason may still get some batteries to rebuild. :clap:
Thanks much for that info. :thumb:

In my olden golden age It has become apparent that smaller lighter is better, just get extra batteries.

Just last couple of weeks ago I had a situation where I had to drive screw up into the ceiling (rehang drywall) 18v drill motot and my wrists and elbow was killing me after a short while.

Today I was on my hands and knees installing full extension glides and drawers to a cabinet I have been working on... Grabbed the 18V, My gawd how heavy it was, went back and dug out my 12v B&D to finish the job. I had a 7v Makitia, was one of the first on the market and did a fine job, light weight and useful with good torque but short battery life. (Its dead now) But I long for smaller lighter and more easy to handle. I would prefer a smaller rig and a hand full of batteries to keep it going over the big strong heavy last all day guy.

My son, much younger, stronger, has gone the same way, He chucked the 24v Dewalt and went for a 12v smaller drill (he uses it all day every day) and bought extra batteries and a quick charger in lieu of the big heavy chunk. Others in his crew have opted for the big guns but he said he finds them "borrowing" his. Packin' heat all day pays a toll on your joints and muscles

I see Tom silva on Ask this Old House usually totes a small gun to do his bidding.

A while back when I was building Decks and was screwing the planks down, then there was a use for the big brutes and they were handy as a pocket on a shirt. but for daily use, I prefer the smaller lightweight guys.

I vote for B&D and for the price you can toss them and not fill faint in the wallet.

Frank,

As an owner of 2 DeWalt Cordless Drills, I highly recomend them, and think you will be happy with them.

When I purchased my 1st DeWalt cordless drill (18v drill/driver/hammerdrill) I decided that while the batteries may cost more, at least they wouldn't cost more that it was to replace a perfectly good cordless drill. I was lead to this decision by trying to get batteries for my 14v Craftsman drill. Sears sold them, but I could by a whole new drill for the same cost as one battery. :eek:

I'm pretty sure that Home Depot and maybe Lowes carries the DeWalt battery charger. I'm not sure how much they run.

The guy who did my patio cover this summer used a new Makita with lithium batteries: positively scary amount of power and battery life, in a drill that felt more like a 9.6V in size and weight.

Wonderful thing, technology. :thumb:

(Not sure I want to know the list price though. :eek: )

Frank,

Just throwing this out there..... DeWalt now has a Lithium-ion battery line called Nano Technology. The 18v Nano batteries are compatible with the 18v XRP cordless tool line(40 tools). They do however require a new charger, but that charger has the ability to charge the old NiCd & NiMH and the new Lithuim-ion batteries.

From a weight prospective, their 18v Li-Ion batteries have the same weight as their 12v XRP batteries.

.....and no, I don't work for DeWalt, B&D, or any other tool company. I'm just a big fan of the "Yellow Tools".

I run 2 18v hitachi's and I cant say I find them very heavy. that being said I saw a 12v li ion impact driver while in sears getting my router. Craftsman pro for $99. I may go pick one up and give it a whirl.

I'll be getting the 14V because of both weight and cost factors. The 12V seldom let me wanting for more power. But, I don't do professional work that requires long hours of use. And, I also have a B&D 9.6 Versa-Pak that is used for household chores and, frequently, in the shop. It lacks power for some chores but, for now, I'll grab an old tailed drill to finish. And the 9.6VP batteries are affordable to replace. I also have a screwdriver and flashlight that uses the VP batts. Now, with a new DeWalt, I'll be in screwdriver heaven. :rolleyes:

If Jim was talking about an impact driver, they are alot lighter and have better driving power than a drill. The down side is that they don't have an adjustable clutch so you could easily over drive your screws. This may or may not make a difference in what you are planning to use it for.

Impact drivers rock... I didn't think I needed one, but got one in a drill and driver for the price of just one sale a couple years ago, and now rarely use the drill as a driver. I also worried about overdriving screws but that hasn't been a problem.

I have a dewalt 12 volt impact driver and it has an adjustable clutch I bought it in 99 and have used and abused it. I got a core kit from jason and it again is as good as new.....but I did buy a hitachi 14.4 drill and light kit a couple of years ago and it is pretty nice. I helped a friend build a deck a couple of years ago with it and it held up as good as his dewalt 14.4's(older weak batteries :D) and the last 18v 1/2" dewalt we have at work has been a piece of junk sense day 1. my .02 cents worth

Ryobi +18

Hey all,

I have several of the Ryobi 18v cordless tools and have been very happy w/them. The Nicad batteries go for $50 for 2. They just added lithium ion batteries to their line up. The new charger is backward compatable. $99 for new charger and 1 Li battery. I am guessing the batteries will eventually be available as a pair for around $99 (which beats the socks off the competition). I also have the Makita 14.4v Lithium ion impact driver that I got at a steal and love it. It is very lite and powerful!

Jack