Another bowl roughed out - spalted Elm

Elm smells when you turn it? I just picked up a few logs from a tree trimmer listing on ebay....haven't done anything to it buy seal the ends.

John, nice work on the rough out. Look forward to seeing the finished bowl:thumb:

Looks good, John. I just recently saw Bill Grumbine's 2 DVDs and am hoping to get the chance to try some bowl making soon. Have done a few with dry wood but have yet to experience turning wet wood. From what I hear it should be a lot of fun. Hope your bowls turn out great.

.....Gord

That's a neat chunk of wood, John, and it looks like you've got a good start on it. Looking forward to seeing it done in a few months.

Looks great, but I'll warn you, Elm can be a bear to turn when it gets dry. The wood dries very hard, and has a very high silica content. This means that you have to go slow, take light cuts and sharpen you tools all the time, like constantly, but in the end, the Elm can make really nice turnings!

Cheers!

John, would be a shame huh, to put in the fireplace.
Very beautyful wood, your rough turning looks well.
I agree with Stuart, not so easy to turn when it's dry.
I had the same with prunus, turned perfectly wet, had when it was dry a hard time. Like it to see the outcome.
Have fun !! :wave: