A thief in my Lab!

Jeff Horton

And I caught him red handed too! Well maybe that should be red mouthed. :D
I went to the hardware store to pick up some black pipe and some unions to extend my bar clamps. I take the stuff down the Lab and open up the doors since it is warm today (The cold hits us tonight). I hear paper rattling and I know what that means. Chester, my Golder Retriever mix is stealing paper to take out in the yard and shred. I turn around and he has the bag with Unions I just bought in his mouth headed for door with them. Totally ignored the empty bags, grabs the full one.

It's a good thing he is obedient cause he dropped them on command. If he had gotten out in the yard without me seeing him. I would have never known where those unions went! Would have thought I would loosing my mind with my unions. Silly dog.

One of our two dogs thinks cardboard is the greatest treat known to dogs. He doesn't eat it, but he loves to tear it up into little pieces. We'll give him a piece every now and then just to see the joy in his eyes. He also like to carry stuff like cardboard food packages out to the trash cans and give it to me to throw away. He also likes to lick (but not chew) sandpaper. He's a weird unit. ;) I guess he takes after his dad that way.

One of our two dogs thinks cardboard is the greatest treat known to dogs. He doesn't eat it, but he loves to tear it up into little pieces.

Thats my dog except it's paper. Thin cardboard will do if nothing else is around. This is not the first time I have found a new purchase headed out the door in his mouth. Sometimes I will give him some paper to keep him from stealing my sack. My other dog likes to chew on rocks! No joke!! Go figure. :dunno:

When Chester was younger he had a shoe fetish I am convinced. He was a stray and showed up at a friend of mines house. She kept him for a couple of weeks before we took him. But at night he would go through the house and gather up all the shoes and put them in pile. :dunno:

After I got him he never messed with our shoes. We lived on the lake then and come summer shoes started showing up on the door steps. Chester was a neighborhood dog and everyone loved him. But more than once I would see him come running with his prize in his mouth only to hear a neighbor hot on his hills say. "Chester! Bring me my shoe!"

He would sit on the deck or boathouse with them and when they were not looking he grabbed a shoe and ran! :rofl:

It was embarrassing but everyone found it funny and we just put a box on the porch so everyone knew where to look for their missing shoes. :eek: I have heard other people with young retrieves talk about their dogs bringing strange things home. I guess the instinct to retrieve is just that strong. Thank goodness he just brings up fast food wrappers and beer cans people though out now. :)

Jeff, be carefull with the onions. They are toxic to dogs in the right quantity, just like chocolate! Jim.

Onions?? I don't think I have ever feed him onions? But I will remember that.