Options for staining " sections " . . .

steve mackay

Not real good at describing what I do, Still the GI in me. But . . . if you've ever seen pictures of old missile and rocket shots the bodies are painted in sections black and white. First stage black, separation skirt white, etc. I make wood models and don't paint them. Can't bring myself to paint wood. Just ten or so coats of poly. Thus far missiles have been the one shade all round but I was thinking of staining the sections. Besides cutting all the sections apart and staining them individualy is there any way to get stain to STOP on a fine line ? Probably wishfull thinking on my part but hey, worth asking right ?

Not sure what you mean but.... If you want to stain wood in segments, you can mask off the areas you want to stain and applu a clear finish to the rest. Then that area will be protected from the stain and will not be effected. Leaving a checkerboard pattern as you discribe.

Steve,
I'd put a sealing coat of shellac over the whole thing first, then do the masking and staining. It's the porosity of the wood grain that lets the stain bleed under the tape. Once sealed, you shouldn't have any bleed-thru problems.

Also, lately I've been using gel stains - Old Masters is the one I've come to prefer - and they're a lot easier to use, and bleed less than the 'traditional' stains.

missiles=round? turned on a lathe?
if so....how about cuttin` lines about 1/16"-1/8" deap between sections to help stop bleed from one section to another.

OK, . . .

yes, I do cut in the " separation bands " between the stages but on raw wood the stain still bled over ( well, under, I guess ) . Did'nt think of sealing the whole thing first though. That said, so the stain would " stick " to the poly, you think ?

PS ; ROFL ! No lathe . . . yet.

yes, I do cut in the " separation bands " between the stages but on raw wood the stain still bled over ( well, under, I guess ) . Did'nt think of sealing the whole thing first though. That said, so the stain would " stick " to the poly, you think ?...

Use a 1# cut of dewaxed shellac (Zinnzer's SealCoat® is a good one) to seal the wood - NOT poly. The stain will adhere well to the sealed wood; then you can use the poly over that.