Neighbors tree fell what kind is it?

Chuck Beland

We had a bad rain & wind storm last night & my next door neighbors tree fell
(house is vacant there selling it) what type of tree is it?
The base is about 3' across & I can see some type of insect holes in the second pic.

I think it's tired of being a tree it wants to be bowls, vases, HF's etc...
Thanks

Chuck

Click on the pic for big pic click second time for full size pic.

:D

Last edited:
Chuck, I have never turned willow, but I think I remember other turners mentioning it is turnable, but maybe a bit "stringy". If you can have your pick of the tree, get any crotch sections, and the stump section closest to the ground. I mention those areas because Willow is rather non-descript wood from a grain standpoint, and the crotch sections will have some figure and/or feathering, and the very bottom of the trunk will perhaps have some compression curl, if you get lucky. What the heck, if it's right next door and free, grab it! :thumb:

Chuck just make sure you have sharp tools especially on the last couple of cuts. I have turned some willow and it is a little stringy but can be some pretty wood in the crotch area.

...what type of tree is it? ...:D
That's the ever-popular Freewood tree. :clap: And from the sounds of things, it's your Freewood tree. :thumb:

Even if the wood's not great, it's better than turning nothing, and there's always room for surprises. You might just find something beautiful in there, too.

Chuck, yep it's willow, I have good experience with turning willow.
If it's to much for you alone, drop in in the ocean, and I pick it up on the other side of the pond. Lucky guy. :D