Under appreciated brace and bit

Jeff Horton

While repairing the bed today I pulled out my trusty Stanley #59(?) drill guide, a 7/16" auger and my brace to drill some dowel holes. This bit happens to be one of the better ones I own. (I am looking for a good set right now). I had sharpened this one and it has a good lead screw on the end. As I was drilling the holes I realized that it was just about as fast as my power drill was. By the time I could find it and an extension cord it would probably be quicker. ;)

When I went to put the dowels in place they were just like they are supposed to be. Straight and tight. I only had to do 8 holes but it made me realize just how unappreciated this tool is. Seems to me the orignal cordless drill still has a place in the modern work shop. It does mine!

Last edited:
I have one brace and bit and it is "permanently" equipped with a hex adaptor (LVT sells them) and a Robertson (square) bit.

With that brace I can put a lot more torque than my cordless drill. I often use it for tightening screws that didn't quite make it.

Extremely usefull.

Hi Jeff, braces are one of my main weaknesses.

Got one or two. Most are already set up holding the [insert various kinds of drilling bits here] bits and chamfer bits I use most. Then there are the few duplicate braces which remain free of bits for the odd times I need a different size.

I like the control a brace gives, no batteries to recharge. And they are great for driving big screws.

Thanks for posting this.

Take care, Mike

I recently acquired a set of screw driver bits and I am impressed using it with them. As cheap as braces are and now that I have my new bench built where I can store them. I am seriously thinking about buying up several so that they can be ready for action and not have to swap bits out. I figure if I watch Ebay for a few weeks someone will have a 3 or 4 together at a good price.

Hi Jeff, yep, often someone will offer a set of 3 or 4 in graduated sizes and these can go pretty reasonable.

For counter sinks, my fav are 6" models as one can really spin them. Of course, that's if I don't use one of the geared hand drills.

Another type I use frequently, especially when drilling overhead, is the small corner ratcheting braces. I also use one when driving 1/4" lag bolts.

Ah, so many great tools, so little time...Mike