Strange sandwiches....

John Pollman

Howdy all!

Man it was GORGEOUS day out there today in SE Michigan! Well I've been pretty busy lately and whenever I had the time to get the lawn cut it was lousy weather so it had been over a month since it had been done. I spent several hours getting it back into shape. I really didn't eat much all day because I was outside enjoying the weather and a little while ago I went searching for some grub. I really didn't feel like going out or really cooking so I decided that a sandwich would do the job. Here's what I found in the fridge and it was a surprisingly good experiment.

Two slices of some nice Sourdough bread. Then spread some soft cream cheese on one slice. Then on top of the cream cheese I placed a nice thick layer of some red cabbage w/apple. (This I bought in a jar at the store and it's darn good) Then a few slices of some nice roast beef and finally a nice slathering of yellow mustard on the other slice. I put it all together and ate it right up. I know it sounds kind of strange but it tasted really good and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

What kind of strange sandwich combinations have you come up with that worked out well? I'm just curious because I like to experiment and once in a while I come up with a winner.

Take care

John

For as long as I can remember, my favorite sandwich has been peanut butter, jelly, sharp cheddar cheese and sweet pickle slices on most any bread.... Tall, cold glass of milk!

Love 'em!

When I'm in the mood for it I like lunch meat & Peanut butter & Kraft Salad dressing (Mayo) dipped in tomato soup.

Although LOML says I can eat stuff that would get a goat sick:huh::D

Used to eat an occasional Cream Cheese and Honey sandwich back in my college days. Dont have a clue where she got this from but my Mom has always been partial to Peanut Butter and Radish slices sandwiches. Yuck.

The only way to eat peanut butter is topped with Marmite! One of my other favourites is cheddar cheese and strawberry jam - tastes like strawberries and cream.:)

The only way to eat peanut butter is topped with Marmite! One of my other favourites is cheddar cheese and strawberry jam - tastes like strawberries and cream.:)

Ian, for us Yanks, what is Marmite???? Sounds like a countertop material to me. :dunno:

My dad's favorite was peanut butter, sliced onion, and kippers or sardines with mustard---yuuck!!

Nancy (60 days)

Ian, for us Yanks, what is Marmite???? Sounds like a countertop material to me. :dunno:
Nancy (60 days)

It's one of the things that we won't let you have because of residual bad feelings after a small disagreement that took place at the end of the 18th century, one of the last vestiges of an economic embargo.;)

If you think of yeast working away in the brewing process, turning sugar into alcohol, well when the yeast has turned enough sugar into alcohol it dies because of the concentration of yeast "waste" products in the mixture. If you extract the yeast "waste" and concentrate it into a sticky brown semi liquid, about the consistency of bathtub silicone and put ut in a jar you can market it as yeast extract and the big brand name in yeast extract is Marmite. There - now I bet your jealous that we get it and you don't!!:D

Last edited:
Actually that's an American invention. We just shipped it to y'all with a heavy marketing campaign. We weren't dumb enough to keep it over here. Sort of punishment for giving us such a hard time at the end of the 18th century.:D

Ian, after your explanation, it still sounds like countertop material to me.:rofl: I'm still laughing--and I can tell you that I'm really glad that the economic embargo has kept it on your side of the big pond!

Nancy (60 days)

Mmmm marmite

I have a mate up in Canada who sends me oxfam parcels of it as it's about $12 for a small jar here. Never considered is with peanut butter though.

I am now less ashamed to admit that I like kipper, onion and mustard sandwiches. I thought I was the only one besides a really good British childhood friend. My wife only allows me to eat them in the shop, but the neighborhood cats love me! I believe I will take a pass on the addition of peanut butter (the jam and/or bananas would be jealous :eek:).

Having spent virtually my entire life in Louisiana, I have two favorite sandwiches, the muffaletta and the oyster poboy. Although not considered strange by any means, an authentic muffaletta and a properly "dressed" oyster poboy are hard to find outside Louisiana and the immediate gulf coast. And, yes, I realize that authentic and proper are relative and opinions vary.

By the way, Marmite on grilled cheese or under very sharp cheddar on cheese toast is heaven. As my wife will attest, Marmite tends to be a love it or hate it flavor for us Yanks.

JB

Doug and Ian,

Please back off a little. It was bad enough the spat over the little tea taxation thing.......I don't want to think what it would be like over a marmite disagreement!:eek::rolleyes::D

If you really want a lively debate, ask which is better, Marmite or Vegemite. If there are any Aussies on this forum, we might see some fireworks ;).

I personally like both, Marmite combined with other flavors, Vegemite plain on crackers or toast.

JB