Turner in Oklahoma

Mike Pung

Hello everyone, I am Mike Pung from Oklahoma. I am a lifelong wood worker of 48. I retired from the Air Force after starting a woodworking business in 1991. Since that time I have been a bit spoiled. I take the jobs I enjoy and pass the others on to other shops that need the work. I am a bit of a woodworking trouble shooter. I love it when people say "it can't be done" That's when I shine! I specialize in turning, radius molding, ropeing with a Legacy mill and hand carving. In other words, nothing straight or square. Well that's about it.

Mike

Welcome to the clubhouse, Mike. Sounds like you'll have some good stuff to add to the mix here. By the way, we'd love to see any and all pics of your work or shop that you'd like to share. :thumb:

Thanks, I'll get to the pictures as I figure this forum out. Just posted a picture of me and a couple columns as my avatar. Need to sleep now.

Mike

Hi Mike, very wellcome. Hope you have a good time here.
Glad having another woodturner on board.
Reading your story about what you are doing, it seems to me more and more one person business are coming up, as I notice in my own country.

hi mike! sounds like we do the same stuff:D
Hello Tod,
Had a look at your site, good looking tree parts. We do, do quite a bit of the same thing. The only thing that I can see different is that you go all the way :D I make components for many shops and builders. In most cases I never see the finished product in it's sellable form. You do a wonderfull job with the finishes, that's another thing I don't do in my shop. Like I said I am spoiled, but make a good living doing it.

Mike

Hi Mike, very wellcome. Hope you have a good time here.
Glad having another woodturner on board.
Reading your story about what you are doing, it seems to me more and more one person business are coming up, as I notice in my own country.
Thanks for the welcome. I am a one man shop but as with any occupation, there needs to be another set of hands from time to time. For these times, my wife jumps in and for a short time I get to say how it's going to be. Just for a short time. :rofl: I hope she doesn't read this................. No worries we are best buddies, for that I am a lucky man! Thanks again for the welcome

Mike

Hi Mike,

Your business sounds very interesting and cannot wait to see some of your work.

How do you like your Legacy Mill? I was kind of interested a while back but cooled off a little after seeing some negative reports. Looks like that you do large stuff but for furniture pieces I was thinking about the 900.

Hi Mike,

Your business sounds very interesting and cannot wait to see some of your work.

How do you like your Legacy Mill? I was kind of interested a while back but cooled off a little after seeing some negative reports. Looks like that you do large stuff but for furniture pieces I was thinking about the 900.

About 40% of my business is from the legacy. I've done pens to columns. Mostly stair parts. I can't understand the negative posts. After 14 years of use it's kind of silly to acknowledge complaints. As with any machine, there has to be a balance or understanding between machine and operator. The people who badmouth the Legacy expect it to be accurate to within .002 of an inch. All the product that comes off my mill have differences that are undetectable by the human eye and hard to measure with a micrometer. That means my story is that it is perfect?! As with any machine it is a tool and needs an operator there's no magic. Understanding that? Let the fun begin.

Mike

Good to hear from you Bill. Yes the table made it just fine. I have emauled a couple of times about the barn festival, is that still an event? Sounds like quite a good time if it is still going on. Almost made it out your way a month ago but didn't want to tease you if it fell through, and it did. Thanks for the welcome, I think I'll like it here as well as the Legacy google group.
Mike