What Are You?

What are you

• Total voters
I tried turning, but it wasn't for me. When I'm in the shop, I'm more into the practical [...] so I'd rather build something I'm going to use than something that is going on a shelf.

I have just the project for ya! :rolleyes: See this old thread.

Seriously ... I've been using this item every day, for months now. I guess I'd better take a "finished" photo or two.

Vaughn I think you are right. Its not just round things--I've made things like cutting boards, wine bottle holders, and started some small boxes that I never finished. Those weren't as enjoyable as building a piece of furniture, a shop helper, etc. For the end tables and coffee table I built for our family room I bought the turned legs from Osborne Wood Products. My mom wants me to build her a cabinet for their bathroom with bun feet and I'll probably do the same.

Now I did have a blast rebuilding the old Delta lathe I bought (and later sold.)

I did some turning (nboth wood and metal) in high school and I liked woodturning a bit. But, I have done none since then and, with all the other woodworking skills I am attempting to master, I doubt that I will ever get around to doing any more turning.

99% ROUND! I am a round mound of turning excitement! Only time i do flat work anymore is when it's absolutely mandatory by SWMBO. Like Christmas presents. I'm still trying to figure out how to turn a 30 gallon trash can holder/camoflage thingy majiggy doowhopper. :dunno:

Wife frowned on the idea though. hummmphhhhh

99% ROUND! I am a round mound of turning excitement! Only time i do flat work anymore is when it's absolutely mandatory by SWMBO. Like Christmas presents. I'm still trying to figure out how to turn a 30 gallon trash can holder/camoflage thingy majiggy doowhopper. :dunno:

Wife frowned on the idea though. hummmphhhhh
What she frowned at was the price-tag on the lathe required to turn something the size of a 30gal trashcan. :eek:

I do what I feel like at the time or whats needs doing.

Scrollsaw, turn, construction, flat work, or carve. Sometimes its more flat, other its more turning. Lately its more construction since moving to a new house a little over a year ago(fence, shed, built-ins, garage/shop cabinets)

Depends on what projects are around. If I'm not working on anything specific then I'm a turner. Seems that my flatwork is productive and my turning is just me goofing off.

What are you?

Other than old and fat, mainly a turner. I get bored easily and bounce between scrollwork, one-off furniture, carving and turning. The turning has lasted the longest. Done lots of mini birdhouses and lidded boxes, but the one that generated the most interest was the bedsnake bat. If a guy was looking at them they turned into fish whackers.