dis-couraged

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

I hate to vent my frustrations... and maybe I should just keep quiet about it. :huh:

But do you ever go through periods where *everything* you do in the shop goes wrong? Nothing major, just stupid little things: a drawer you checked for square at glue-up is crooked when you go to install it... you try to thread a piece of wood, mess it up, try again, and mess up in a different way... :dunno:

I'm going through a bad patch the last couple weeks. Now, don't get me wrong... it's normal for everything I make to be slightly off-kilter. But they don't usually actually *fail*, they just look weird. (reflective of their maker, no doubt!)

Maybe I need to drink different whisky. Maybe I'm just not supplicating the right gods. I swear to you, I went into the shop this morning and didn't even pick up a tool... just sat there and tried to think about the problem. I need a solution. I feel like a golfer who has the shanks... ;) Didya ever see that movie "Tin Cup"?

Does everyone go through this?

Thanks,

Bill

Been there, done that. Generally I have a three strikes rule; if I tank on something I move to something else, if I botch that I move again . . . third time's the charm - shut down and go in to the house. I frequently find if I 'just walk away' things are much better when I start up again.

Heck yeah!

I was taught "A change is as good as a rest" so what I do when I get in one of those periods of "AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH" is to do something different.

Something else I do is a MAJOR, and I'm talking MAJOR clean up in the Dungeon, and I tackle a job that I was putting off because I did not really want to do it, then, when I'm done it, I can enjoy going back to the thing that made me :bang: :bonkers: :D

I think it happens to most of us :dunno:

Cheers!

Bill someone once told me, maybe here, that if something goes wrong, try and put away a few things or clean a little in the shop. I try to do this to keep the almighty shop gods happy with a somewhat clean shop, but usually I just push things around or pick something up and put it in a different place. I've had the shanks in golf before as well....clearing the mind is the only thing that will help! Have you tried yoga?:rofl:

Bill

I know you meant that you were going to drink AFTER you left the shop, right?:D Don't want you loose when you fire up that table saw.

But, I know what you mean, I'm going through a patch right now, really want to play with the new toy, but there are maintenance things to do, and a project for LOML that hasn't gotten started because we are still trying to iron out all the details, and chairs that need refinishing, and a gate to repair and, and, and,...............

I need to pick one and do it and then move on, and clean the shop up once again!

I have days like that.....it seems to hit me more often than it used to.......:eek:

When I was younger I gritted it out and kept working until I worked my way through it. Now I just shutoff the lights and go away until I feel it has passed.

a large part of being a successful carpenter is learning how to fix your mistakes...just think of `em as an education;)

I find that true in life. Seems that both good and bad things come in groups.

When things are going bad, I remember that times change.

And when things are going good, I remember that times change.

Mike

Bill, I know that feeling, happens me too sometimes.
My solution, than I close my shop, and do something else, thinking I'm not in the right mood today.

I think it's just a general fault in my character. No matter what field I'm working on, teaching, writing, technology, woodworking, I've always done ok as long as I remember one thing: I am a complete doofus. But the same thing always happens... I work, I build some skills, and then I think: "Whoa, I actually know what I'm doing." Which means I've forgotten just how much of a complete doofus I am. At which time providence, or the Goddess, or simply the universe, or whatever you want to call it, sends a reminder:

BOF 061 (Medium).jpg

BOF 062 (Medium).jpg

That was supposed to be a birthday present for a colleague. Her birthday's tomorrow. Dang!

Boethius always said that when things are going well, we persuade ourselves that we're good, that things *should* go well for us. It's only when things are really going downhill that we actually learn anything. And boy, am I learning a lot lately... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• BOF 063 (Medium).jpg
    BOF 063 (Medium).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Boethius always said that when things are going well, we persuade ourselves that we're good, that things *should* go well for us. It's only when things are really going downhill that we actually learn anything. And boy, am I learning a lot lately... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

If Boethius was right, I'd be the most educated person on earth. He was drastically wrong!:eek:

Bill, no one in our family can tell you the number of times I have stomped down out of the shop loudly proclaiming that I am going to sell all my tools, and sit on the couch drinking beer for the rest of my life. It seems to happen the most when:

I am pushing the envelope

It is a unique piece of wood

There is a deadline to meet

The sun is up

The sun is down

It is a day of the week and ends in y

And then when it does get finished, I worry about everyone seeing and gasping at the flaws immediately.

It is especially frustrating when you want to do something nice for someone else, and it just keeps going wrong. This too will pass, and you will find yourself better for the experience.

Bill