searching

Even if I go to advanced search and select newer than a year, I can only search back until about 10 Oct 2007. I even tried "wood" as my search keyword to make sure that I wasn't just looking for something no one has talked about before (doubtful, I was searching for "rack", "storage" or "lumber" before trying "wood").

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to set some sort of preference at the User CP or something?

Thanks!

Mark, I've also noticed that the built-in vBulletin search feature is pretty much worthless. When I get some time I plan to look into it, but I think there may be some things turned off to save database CPU cycles and speed up the site. (And to avoid the dreaded "CPU Busy" messages.)

What I've been doing is using Google, but telling it what site to search. (Works great on other sites as well.) Use it in this form:

"search term" site:familywoodworking.org
Use the quotation marks if there is more than one word. Otherwise, just type the word, followed by site:familywoodworking.org.

I hope this helps -

Mark, I've also noticed that the built-in vBulletin search feature is pretty much worthless. When I get some time I plan to look into it, but I think there may be some things turned off to save database CPU cycles and speed up the site. (And to avoid the dreaded "CPU Busy" messages.)

What I've been doing is using Google, but telling it what site to search. (Works great on other sites as well.) Use it in this form:

"search term" site:familywoodworking.org
Use the quotation marks if there is more than one word. Otherwise, just type the word, followed by site:familywoodworking.org.

Or a real world example:

I hope this helps -

I too use the Google "site:____" search function, not only here, but lots of places. I find that some company's search function on their websites are really bad, so the "site:____" function really helps.

Too bad the vBulletin function is so poor.

Would it be possible to just overload the vBulletin search to use Google instead (of the vBulletin algorithm when search is selected from within the forum)?
Technically, yes. Realistically (at least for right now), no. I know it can be done, since I've seen other sites do it. I'm not sure how it was done, but I'm pretty sure it involves editing a PHP script somewhere in the forum software, and that's something we're trying to avoid. The more modifications and customizations we make to the interface, the more potential we have for problems when we update the software.

Still, I'm going to look into it when I have some time, since personally I think this would be a modification worth making.

Probably. Aaron over at SMC did it - their search drop down offers either the google search or the vBulletin search. But I don't know if that was a vBulletin option, or if he did a bit of code hacking.

Probably. Aaron over at SMC did it - their search drop down offers either the google search or the vBulletin search. But I don't know if that was a vBulletin option, or if he did a bit of code hacking.
It was a code tweak that he did, but he's a lot more up to speed on the PHP stuff than any of us current Admins. Also, since the staff positions here are not permanent, we're trying to keep things as "maintainable" as possible for future Admins that take over the position.

Still, as I said earlier, I think this mod might be worth making, so I'm looking into it. If it does get made, I'll be sure to leave a good set of instructions for maintaining it.

(doubtful, I was searching for "rack", "storage" or "lumber" before trying "wood").

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to set some sort of preference at the User CP or something?

Thanks!

NO YOUR ARE NOT..............

Couple days ago, I looked up rack, storage etc on a post that I had made several months ago.

The only way I could find it was I was the thread starter
and went to my archives to find the thread........:dunno::dunno::dunno: