The amazing RAS

Rick,

Well...it was made by Emerson..but unlike my Craftsman, there is much more metal, and the arm is cast iron. No electronics, just a basic solid saw. The "Craftsman" blade guard fit perfectly, ..it was also made by Emerson. It does take a bit getting used to lifting the "cow catcher" on the guard over the fence to get started, but it is one of the safest I've seen. The table I'll initially use is also from the retro kit I got, but I'll upgrade to melamine with a sacrificial board on top of that, later on. I got a custom desk and side table top, made of 1" melamine, on freecycle. I'll cut to size, route the edges and seal them. Should make a solid, flat surface.

Greg, sounds like you got a very good deal. When I did my last clean-up in the shop I pitched some of my accessory stuff like the molder and circular planer because I now have alternate tools that will do a better and much safer job. I basically decided that if I keep the RAS I will restrict it's use to cut-off and maybe some dado work but only in the cross cut mode. I deliberated about getting rid of it and buying a miter saw of some sort but just never persued it.. yet. I presume you have a MS. If so, what functions, other than possibly dado work, do you use the RAS for that a CSMS doesn't do well?

Believe it or not, I do not have a Compound Miter Saw, but instead do most of my cross-cut work with my Radial Arm Saw. The reason I like this better is because in doing custom wooden models, I cut a lot of small pieces. Because of the big flat table, I can secure these small pieces in my RAS better.

Like others have mentioned I have had more close calls on my Table saw than I have ever had on my RAS, but it does deserve respect too. At the same time, I also make sure my blades have a negative rake angle to keep the saw from binding and NEVER rip cut with my RAS either. (Well except for large diameter circle cutting, because in my opinion, nothing beats the RAS for doing that!!)

Overall the RAS has a lot of capacity and does a lot of work in mys hop. As my orinal post began, I think it is very much unestimated and used.

Rick,

My CMS is a 10" Dewalt that I got for cutting trim/molding for my remodel project. It's mounted on a Rigid MUV (mobile cart) which folds up out of the way.

With the RAS, I can just hit the switch and cut..crosscut. I guess you'd say right now it's a matter of convenience, ability to cut wider boards and longer boards, easier and with less set-up time. The table top makes for convenient storage too....ROF ROF

Rick,
The table top makes for convenient storage too....ROF ROF
I can barely see the saw under all the stuff that finds it's way to that temporary landing zone. LOL . I promised myself that I wouldn't do that anymore; throws off the leveling of the table when there is more than 50 lbs of junk piled on it.
Maybe I'll take it out of moth balls and see if I can find a use for it.

For me the RAS is extremely valuable. I have made a set up using a 16' spread x12" deep( come to think of it the depth must be more like 16" at the tables themselves, and 12" for the run out) top covering two 12" dewalts that I have set with the blades about 4' apart. To the left there is about 8'6" so I can set a stop block for 8' multiple cuts using the saw on the left. The saw to the right is the one I wil change to a bevel or use to dado. I never rip as that move scares me.. Tis my feeling that#1 if your back stop is secure and #2the drop you will cut can't be pulled into a wollared out groove in the back stop and #3the piece you are cutting cannot be pulled over the top of the back stop , and #4you don't turn on the saw with something that could immediately catch in the blade and#5 all of your saw options are locked in if they should be and #6 your fingers are out of the path of the draw, and #7one hand is on the wood and the other securely on the handle.............Chime in when you want with whatever info you have......
Shaz
P.S. Then the RAS is a valuable tool for the shop and as safe as any of the others mentoned. Fear of the RAS is a healthy fear, to be managed with knowledge, respect for the tools and proper safety precautions.:)

Last edited:
Other that the above statements Frank what is it that scares you about the RAS ? No I am not trying to be funny just trying to understand. What did they do or not do that has you so scared of them?

I'd still like to know the answer to this question....

I used a big RAS quite a bit in high school shop (and a lot moreso in the carpentry class) and never heard they were any more dangerous than the other power tools Mr. Henderson let us use. It wasn't until I got back into woodworking many years later that I learned the RAS was some supposedly "wicked" tool that struck fear in the hearts of mortal men. Glad to see there are other nonbelievers out there too. ;)

I don't think I'd use one for rip cuts unless I was absolutely forced to, but crosscuts? No worries. Respect and attention yes, worries no. :)

I wouldn't mind having one of the old 16" DeWalts, or better a Yates-American 30", that was a whopper! But alas, I don't have the room for those, and will not have space for something like that until I can build another shop/house, should that happen.

I find my sliding compound miter to be such a noisy tool, but it's so convenient...tucks out of the way, the stand opens in 2 minutes, and it does compound miters. A RAS can crosscut a much larger panel in most cases. Convenience wins for me in this category.

I don't find them overly dangerous. I have had a few grab pieces of wood and toss it, but that was only because I did something stupid. Of course I have done the same thing on a table saw, and in fact, probably have had more issues with the tablesaw than I ever had with the Radial Arm Saw.

I think the Radial Arm Saw gets a bad rap because the machine looks more dangerous. I mean the blade is right up and where you can see it. The blade manuvers in more Axis, and you pull the blade towards you. All scary things as compared to the table saw where the blade is buried, the blade only moves on two axis and you push the wood through it.

As for the tablesaw inflicting more damage statistically on people, I don't think the table saw is really more dangerous than a tablesaw, I think it because there are far more table saws out there.

What really scares me though is the precursor to the Radial Arm Saw. Has anyone ever seen an old, old type of saw called the Swing Saw? Now that thing with a limb lobber...and I don't mean for trees!!

In a private message, Bart Leech asked me:
Frank what is it that scares you about the RAS ? No I am not trying to be funny just trying to understand. What did they do or not do that has you so scared of them?​
I figured it might be worthwhile to make my response public. Here it is:
My main source of discomfort is when using them for ripping with the blade coming down from above and (somehow) trying to avoid kickback. It's a long time since I did such an operation (about 30 years), but the only serious kickback that I ever experienced on any tool (in fact, the only injury) was on my neighbour's DeWalt radial arm saw while I was ripping a piece of maple. The maple flew back and hit me in the jaw and chipped two teeth. I had a sore mouth for about two weeks.​

Last edited:
Well, in reading this thread completely (which I just got around to doing :eek: ), it seems that I am the only one who responded who is in Camp 1.

Interestingly, about a year or so ago, I asked about radial arm saws in a pole at Saw Mill Creek. The results of that pole favoured Camp 1.

Here is a summary of the results:

Camp 1:

I have a RAS and use it occasionally. Would not buy another.___28

I have a RAS but seldom or never use it.________________________9

I had a RAS but got rid of it._________________________________19

I don't have a RAS and don't want one._________________________26

sub total:____________________________________________________82 61%

Camp 2:

I have a RAS and use it regularly._____________________________33

I have a RAS and use it occasionally. Would buy another.________9

I don't have a RAS but would like to get one. __________________7

sub total:____________________________________________________49 36%

No camp:

Other:________________________________________________________4 3%

Well, in reading this thread completely (which I just got around to doing :eek: ), it seems that I am the only one who responded who is in Camp 1.

Interestingly, about a year or so ago, I asked about radial arm saws in a pole at Saw Mill Creek. The results of that pole favoured Camp 1.

Here is a summary of the results:

Camp 1:

I have a RAS and use it occasionally. Would not buy another.___28 (Not opposed, and they have and use. Maybe won't buy another because they already own.)

I have a RAS but seldom or never use it.________________________9 (Not opposed, and they have, and at least some use..even if seldom)

I had a RAS but got rid of it._________________________________19 (Not specific about why they "got rid of it". Maybe just don't use enough, no space, bought a CMS that does what they want...)

I don't have a RAS and don't want one._________________________26 (Only number that really counts in "Camp 1", IMO)

sub total:____________________________________________________82 61%

Camp 2:

I have a RAS and use it regularly._____________________________33

I have a RAS and use it occasionally. Would buy another.________9

I don't have a RAS but would like to get one. __________________7

sub total:____________________________________________________49 36%
(All either have, or want, and obviously use. All Camp 2)

No camp:

Other:________________________________________________________4 3%

Looks like more in Camp 2 than Camp 1 to me....:huh: I guess the bottom line is, if you don't want one, don't get one...but those who appreciate them will buy, own and use them...with respect.:thumb:

Last edited:
I admit that you could look at it that way Greg.

As a lot of folks who set up survey's do, I interpreted the results to suit my bias. :eek: You are in interpreting them to suit your bias. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in between.

What amazes me is how passionate people get trying to convince people that they should or shouldn't have/use/own a RAS. I see it on every forum I go to. I don't care if you or anyone else has one in their shop. Thats your choice and what does it matter to them if I do?

I love mine and I use it almost as much as my table saw. Heck, I searched for close to a year to find mine. Why people want to convince me it's a bad machine I have no idea!

Now when you start saying the machine design is dangerous I can get a bit passionate. :)

What amazes me is how passionate people get trying to convince people that they should or shouldn't have/use/own a RAS. I see it on every forum I go to. I don't care if you or anyone else has one in their shop. Thats your choice and what does it matter to them if I do?

I love mine and I use it almost as much as my table saw. Heck, I searched for close to a year to find mine. Why people want to convince me it's a bad machine I have no idea!

Now when you start saying the machine design is dangerous I can get a bit passionate. :)

Kind of like some of my Japanese friends when I told them I own chainsaws, in fact I own THREE chainsaws :thumb: You'd think, from their reactions, that I'd told them I pack an AK47 when I got to the kids school or something :D

Fear of something we don't understand is normal, and a good thing, respect for something that can, if used incorrectly, is also very important, but in the end, we are all adults here (mostly!) and I think we have to, make our own choices.

Cheers!

Gotta say I didn't know any better.
Rehabbed 3 houses built 2 garages and a slew of toys with an old Cman RAS.
I thought the poor non repeatable cuts were my fault:dunno:

It wasn't until I started surfing the forums that I discovered all tools are not created equal and there is more to life than the main floor of sears:huh:

I was never afraid of it, always respected its potential dangers and worked with them.

The only incident was when it launched a piece of lumber into the air and broke a florescent lamp. After changing my pants I went back to work and did a better job of clamping my work. I've had worse kickbacks with the cab saw.

Having replaced the Cman TS, planer and RAS with a great PM66 and assortment of other great toyls the level and quality of production has gone up exponentially.
The RAS has been relegated to the corner of the shop for stacking stuff on. Every now and then I haul it out to use as a buffer. It's going to be one of the first large tool going up to the new place... to get it out of the way:rolleyes:

Tyler

Last edited: