Is Alyson too young?

As you know, Alyson is only 15 months old but ever since joining the ranks of the human beings that motivate while upright, she has got this walking thing down pretty good.

Now her mother and I were wondering if its time to take the next step...(pun intended) and that is learning to ice skate.

Here in Maine hockey just rules. Basketball, baseball, soccer and football are just non-existent. Heck our school does not even have a football team, but when it comes to hockey, its huge here. A lot of local colleges give out hockey scholarships and every year our big college here goes to the frozen four and has won the NCAA hockey championship many, many times. And yes they do have a womans hockey team.

My way of thinking is that Alyson is developing her balancing skills, gross motor skills and fine motor skills, learning to skate now would take advantage of that young developing age. My wife on the other hand thinks Alyson is too young still. She should wait until she is 3 years old or so because she thinks her attention span is too short still and it might actually repress her skating ability.

What do you guys and girls think? There is a future NCAA hockey champion here on the line here ! :)

Hey Travis, I don't think she is too young to experience the whole day out with the family skating. Dunno if they still sell them, but when I was a kid, we had these skates which were basically 4 short blades on each platform, the were then laced up to the bottom of the kids boots. I know they are not really skates, but the tikes can move around on them like skates and get the feeling of it all. The most important part, to me, is to get her involved, to be one of the family taking part in the whole skating thing.

OK, I looked and one company has some called "Bob Skates".........

BOBS.jpg

If she is falling down all the time and cannot even sort of stand up any of the time, she might develop a basic dislike of the whole skating thing, so I think to start, these should be the way to go.

Goes without saying, a helmet is a must, right :D

Cheers, and take pics later, I'd love to see them! :wave:

i was on skates at two.......try it, if she fusses take `em off and try again later.....she`s a girl her moods are allowed to change hourly;)

Last edited:
Hockey...defined as one of the hardest sports to play...

The object of the game is to get a frozen chunk of hard rubber, inside a 4 by 6 foot goal that is guarded by a guy that is 3 feet by 7 feet tall and has every living possible pad on in the world, while you are traveling on skates at 30 mph, and trying to make the puck zing past said goal tender by moving it with a big crooked stick at 100 mph while the other guys on the opposing team jab you in the ribs with their sticks, smash you into the boards in a play area with no out of bounds and if you do manage to do all of that...the other team gets mad and sends out their goon who smashes you with his big fists and gets sent to "time out" "or the sin bin" also called the "penalty box" for a whole whopping 5 minutes, but had he done that in the parkinglot and not on the ice he would have been arrested for said offense.

Baseball, Football and Basketball are all for pansies..hockey is where its at my friends, now I just got to convince little ol Alyson it is OK to fight on the ice, but not off the ice. The trials and tribulations of parenthood!! :thumb::huh:

I think that 15 months is slightly too young. In our family, most children get introduced to skating while they are two years old on skates much like those shown by Stu. Most, but not all, of us can manage at that age.

Some would claim that I never managed to skate well at any age. :eek:

I beg to differ Ken......I thought that person was the "hocker"?:huh::rolleyes::D

Ken, it is just a matter of prospective. Consider:

Q: Who was hocked upon?
A: Joe was the hockee. (past tense)

Q: who will hock first?
A: Joe will be the hocker. (future tense)

Q: Who is hocking now?
A: Joe is the hocker. (present tense)

OK, ok, Joe was the hocker. (also past tense.)

I guess I got my ees and ers confused.:dunno:
One should endeavor to be the er, and not the ee.:thumb:

Make like a lawyer and pettifog....