Snowmen

Stuart Ablett

Taken from an idea on the UKworkshop.co.uk that I saw..........

1st_snowmen.JPG

Now these are the first three that I've done, I don't have the shape exactly right, but..... :dunno:

The idea will be to paint them white, and then let the daughters do a custom paint job, and give them away as gifts.

I'm even thinking of doing one each for my niece and nephew, just with the base coat of white, and letting them paint them how they like.

I've not really hollowed these out, but that idea is interesting too, make them basically boxes :D

Anyhow, the deadline for me sending stuff back is fast approaching, and I've got to get some more done.

Off tomorrow AM to buy some wood.

Cheers!:wave:

Those are really cute little guys, Stu. I think it would be fairly easy to make boxes out of these forms. Just cut a tenon on the the "neck" of the snowman's head and hollow or drill out the body until the "neck" fits in like a cork. They would make a great place to hide a few little stocking stuffers. I like 'em!

Great job Stu!

These are some I did last year after a Nick Cook demo. They were for the kid's teachers. They did the decorating.

Attachments

• Snowmen1.jpg
    Snowmen1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Snowmen2.jpg
    Snowmen2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 25
Neat idea, Stu (regardless of where it came from). ;) I agree with Glenn. This looks like a great opportunity to play with the crooked chuck. :D

You are welcome Jeff!

Remember, take pics! :D

OK, tonight I tried a snowman box.........

snowman_box1.JPG snowman_box2.JPG snowman_box3.JPG

I got the dimensions all screwed up, kind of like a "Dude" cowboy snowman.......................

"all hat and no cows.........." :doh: :rofl:

Oh well, more to work on.

I like the mechanics of doing these, the jam chucks that I made with the Beall system came in handy, and this Hard Maple, goodness does it turn nice :thumb:

I feel like I've just been given the secret handshake or something, all this other wood I've been turning is just lousy compared to this Maple, man alive it turns like..... like....... :dunno: (I need to run down to

Dunno, but BOY is it fun to turn, I cannot believe the super smooth cuts I can get, started sanding at #240! :headbang: I'm over the moon pleased with this wood, why in the heck did I wait so long to buy some :bang: talk about a frustration release, I think I was giggling like a 10 year old who just heard a real juicy secret :D :D :D:rofl::rofl:

Ah........... that was fun, must turn some more tomorrow! :wave:

Cheers!

So.....you like the maple?:rofl::rofl:

The first time I got long curlies flying all over the place (like the pros do)was with maple. Cuts like butter.

OK the next one............

doublebox_snowman1.JPG doublebox_snowman2.JPG doublebox_snowman3.JPG

This is a double box, not bad, I think, but the base needs some work, not quite how I want it.

I need to make my blanks another inch longer, I was trying to save wood, and I think I'm ending up wasting more, as I'm not getting these just right.

Oh well, the kids like it, so :dunno:

FUN for sure! :wave:

Seeing that one reminds me of the wooden doll boxes that have smaller and smaller ones inside of each....can't think of there name. Well done Stu.:thumb: