Birdseye Maple

Chuck Beland

I'm looking for 1 or 2 pieces of birdseye maple about 10''x10''x 2-12'' to 3'' thick.
Ebay wants $50 or more & that includes shipping & that's to much money. Anybody know where I can get some cheaper.

Thanks

Chuck

Agree, what I have seen is very pricey. My gun builder friend won't work with it because the 'eyes' have a tendancy to pop out. Might want to consider that before putting an expensive hunk on the spinner.

Chuck

I got several piece of outstanding quality birdseye from a guy in New Brunswick late in 2005. The price was about the same as you mention but in was worth it due to the very high number of eyes in the slabs. He calls himself the Bridseye Man and his name was Leonard Landry. Google him I bet you find him

Frank

BOB HAINSTOCK

I live ion the neighborhood of the bitdseye trees. And have turned some of it. I have seen some with ten to twenty eyes in a piece the size your looking for, and have some pen blanks, 1/2x1/2xb 2in with as many as twenty nine eyes in it. My wxpierence is you have to look at it to be sure. It is absolutly striking when turned, especially on the bias. If i ever get through the tutorial on shrinking pix, i,ll get some pix on the site.
Try bell forrest products on line, call them and talk to boonr, or eric, mention that your a turner and see what they say. Their # is 906 486 4769. It might be a better deal than on their web site. And, i could be wrong. They host our turners club meetings, and give us a nice discount. There primary woods are curly and birds eye.
I might mention that the pen blank i was talking about came off the end of a log that went for ten,k st auction.

Try Steve Wall Lumber. Type it in to Google and you will se their website. I've bought BEM from them on several occasions for much less than what you are finding. But, also remember there are differing grades and that can drive the price.

Bird's Eye Maple

Chuck,

Around here BEM is very expensive-way more than curly. Search for Curious Woods, they have all kinds of stuff. Not sure they will have what you want though.