Extreme Birdhouses

john looser

Hi everyone , I'm back again with another one of my Extreme Birdhouses
I started this one almost 2 years ago and i just got back at recently . It is made from 150 yr old reclaimed barn wood and is 9 ft wide and over 8 ft high.
It is also my largest birdhouse to date. :doh:

This bird mansion has 13 roofs , 32 dormers , a fly through tunnel and over 100 apartments.
I still have a few things left to do like drill all the holes , finish the railings and most of all paint the roof.
My only problem is i have no idea what color to paint it so i am open to suggestions. :dunno:

Attachments

• P9120003-2.JPG
    P9120003-2.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 97
  • P9130004-1.JPG
    P9130004-1.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 68
  • P9130006-2.JPG
    P9130006-2.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 60
  • P9120009-2.JPG
    P9120009-2.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 91
Kicked it up another notch, eh? That's another impressive piece of work, John. :thumb:

I can't decide if I prefer a red roof or a green roof. :huh:

Incredible and impressive job!
You've must have invested a lot of hours there!

If I had to live there I would prefer green for the roof, but the sort of green that copper roofs take when exposed.

Why not make a poll on that? or much better why not ask the future inhabitants?:rofl::rofl:

Incredible and impressive job!
You've must have invested a lot of hours there!

If I had to live there I would prefer green for the roof, but the sort of green that copper roofs take when exposed.

Why not make a poll on that? or much better why not ask the future inhabitants?:rofl::rofl:

Thank you Vaughn and Toni
I was thinking the same thing like a mint green similar to the the color of copper after a few years. I have also seen that color on parliament buildings .

I also like red but i have used that on at least half of the houses i have done. :dunno::doh:

Wow.........if you dont mind...........understand if you dont say.

Not going into competition either..............

but what does one
charge for love of labor like you are making?

Thank you gentlemen :thumb:

Bob
I have no idea what i would charge for something like this . :huh:
Maybe $ 3,000 - $ 4,000 :dunno:

I will probably donate this one to a park or conservation area next sping.:rolleyes:

Hi everyone , here are a few more progress pics.

Well the roof is almost done but it sure was a lot of work cutting and painting it .
There are almost 100 pieces of steel that i had to cut , grind and paint . 3 coats .
I sometimes wonder why i make so much extra work for myself :huh::dunno:?

I still have a few days left but i was a little short on paint and i have to wait a week for that.

Attachments

• P9230012.JPG
    P9230012.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 20
  • P9230010-3.JPG
    P9230010-3.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 15
  • P9230001.JPG
    P9230001.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 23
  • P9240010-1.JPG
    P9240010-1.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi John :wave:,
Once more you continue to amaze me with the wonderful balance, attention to detail and overall quality and scope of work! The choice of color on the roof is really choice:thumb:. The Photo that shows the ridges in the roof helps show off the detail and precision that you put into your labor of love.
As far as cost,
Invoice...to...Bill Gates
From... John
For...Bird Mansion
Scope of work ...
Design, procure the materials, manufacture the parts, assembly, paint, delivery and installation
Cost...
Labor and material to take this project to completion including, design, trip charges to procure materials ( gas oil grease insurance depreciation etc), material cost +15% handling, overhead for lighting and power, heat, cooling, cost of the building space unusable for other projects because of this one, layout and manufacturing of the parts, storage, assembly, paint, delivery and installation, plus profit!( profit is that extra money that you use for your business to buy the new tools, fix the broken ones, add heat to your shop, or what ever helps your business remain healthy and grow even just a little, it is over and above the amount you charge for your labor and material. The reason I am noting all this to you is to reiterate to myself :eek:all the things that we do to get to the final place, and for each item there is a $ value.)
Cost... I would think someone with money would be able to afford what ever price you put on that. Don't sell yourself short. Great work! The next best thing for a great sale price is giving it to someone who really loves it!!!!!:thumb:
Shaz :)

The green Roof is great!

John.... You are a one of a kind designer. What a fantastic job and the detail is so great as well. Wonder if the squarles will help to fill the house? My first time to see one of your creations. I am impressed.:thumb:

Thanks again everyone :thumb:

Jim : I was hoping to get that color your talking about but i had no luck finding it in a spray can .

Ron : I have been living here for almost 7 years and i have only ever seen 1 squirrel in all that time . I think my cats would eat them:D

I just got the railings finished and the holes drilled yesterday.

Attachments

• P9250015-2.JPG
    P9250015-2.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 3
  • P9250012.JPG
    P9250012.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: