where to get.....

Looking forward to the response..............
Got a hand full rusted ones from a barn, that I suppose to build a cabinet for the lady

Hey guys, be careful what you order. There are 2 types of old nails floating around out there and there is a huge difference.

In my shop I got about 10 pounds of "cut nails" thanks to my late-Grandfather, but they are only flat sided STAMPED nails from a modern plant. They really lack and authentic look to them.

Real old fashioned nails are a lot harder to find as they are forged and look really authentic. I have a coffee mug tree made out of the real old fashioned kind and it looks good with the varying shanks holding onto the mugs handles. There is no way I would make something like that out of those 10 pounds of cut nails I have. Two different things altogether.

That being said, the cut nails are great for floors and other things that give you the look of hand forged NAIL HEADS, but do not have the actual shanks of the nails showing. I am just saying be careful in buying those nails. There really are two different types out there.

Actually, I have a box full of some square nails I bought years ago from a farm supply store. They might be horseshoe nails. They look stamped, are ridiculously soft and won't rust. I have tried metal blueing chemicals, rusting solutions, leaving outside, etc. They just won't take an 'olde timey' patina. I'm sure they aren't stainless steel but doesn't matter. They are wuthless for what I want.

Attachments

• nail.jpg
    nail.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 28
Looks like you've already got a coupla good suggestions, but just in case there's also the Tremont Nail company:

http://www.tremontnail.com/

From the look of that nail you posted, I'd guess its some kind of zinc alloy.... though what good that would be to anyone is well beyond my understanding :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yep Frank, those are nails for nailing on horseshoes. Should say a number and something like "city head" behind it. That tells the size of the nail. Big difference in nail sizes for Shetland ponies and Belgian drafts!!

Sounds good in theory Mark; but how many of us have local blacksmiths?

For you, Frank (not the OP) there's two in North York and one in Newmarket, at least.

A similar google search for "mountain home arkansas blacksmith" gave a bunch of hits that Frank the OP might be interested in as well.

A decent smith could make maybe 20 or so nails in about 15 minutes at the end of the day while the coal burns down too little for other tasks (if not more) - tell them about what kind of patina effect you're looking for and I'm sure you'll get some good ideas. For that matter, if you didn't need a whole lot of nails, a barter of a cold beverage might well be the charge.

It's fun to watch the smith work too. Not so much fun to get your head too close to the coal smoke as the fire burns out though. DAMHIKT.

For you, Frank (not the OP) there's two in North York and one in Newmarket, at least.

A similar google search for "mountain home arkansas blacksmith" gave a bunch of hits that Frank the OP might be interested in as well.

A decent smith could make maybe 20 or so nails in about 15 minutes at the end of the day while the coal burns down too little for other tasks (if not more) - tell them about what kind of patina effect you're looking for and I'm sure you'll get some good ideas. For that matter, if you didn't need a whole lot of nails, a barter of a cold beverage might well be the charge.

It's fun to watch the smith work too. Not so much fun to get your head too close to the coal smoke as the fire burns out though. DAMHIKT.

I'm familiar with olde timey type blacksmiths but didn't realize we had any locally. I'll look them up.