Miter saw: first one

IMHO I would take a solid CMS over a 'just OK' slider any day. Sliders can have accuracy issues if not designed and built 'to the nines'. I may be a little gun shy having worked with a so-so RAS and also a good one. What a difference.

I picked up a used Black and Decker 10" miter saw off Craigslist for $30. I had a couple of quick projects coming up and wanted to spend my money on wood rather than another tool. It's a bottom end saw - no tilting for compound cuts - no bells and whistles - very basic. I figured it would due for the time being. If it broke, it broke. If i found i needed something with more capacity, i could likely sell it for what i paid and put that toward another saw.
That was about 2 years ago. I put a decent blade on it and have used that saw for numerous projects including several furniture pieces, a hardwood flooring install, trim and molding, and numerous framing projects. At this point, when it dies, i'll wish i had another one.
I guess i have two points - don't be afraid to look for a decent (even "cheap") used saw, and - they all cut wood. If you get something with the capacity you need, bells and whistles aren't always necessary, or even beneficial.
If you need a lot of capacity, have the room (they really don't take up more footprint than most sliding compound miter saws, but they're not as portable), and don't want to spend a lot of dough, you might consider looking for a used radial arm saw. I see Emerson built Craftsmans all the time for less than $200. Tune one up and you've got a work horse.
Paul Hubbman

Hi Tom :wave:, Welcome :D,
I started with a 9" rockwell, then got another. Built a cradle for it to sit in atop a work mate, all thing portable. Have added 2-10" Dewalts,all antiques now, no bevel, no slide, no compound stuff. I do have a table saw and Radial arm saws ( maybe this is the reason ) but have not yet seen that great of a need for all the bells and whistles. I did use a rockwell saw buck for a while for several jobs which I liked alot.
I suggest a good used Miter box, 10" like Tod posted. Definitely better to have an accurate, old, basic miter box with a good blade than a pretty new tool with features you can probably do with out, for now.
Kick back, as I know it comes from stuff being kicked back at you like at the table saw will do. With the miter box the pieces thrown are away, into the blade shield or out the back, at high speed:eek::D.
Shaz:)

Miter saw first one

I have the Makita LS1013 which is not an inexpensive SCMS. I bought it
through my local home center after reading good reviews on Amazon. I be-
long to the school of thought that you get what you pay for so I didn't mind
spending the bucks to get a good saw. I have owned a DeWalt compound
miter saw as well as a Makita miter saw. Both saws were good but I felt that
I could do more with a SCMS so I got the LS1013. It has performed just as
all the reviews I read said it would. I take care of it and expect it to serve
me well for a long time to come.