preflight software

larry merlau

ok folks are there any graphic arts folk that are in the printing business or have someone they know that is using some preflight software to distinguish problems in the file make up that will be used to print from. and if so what program are they using? we have had to many bad files latly and are gettin alot of hassels from the frt office.. so am lookin to put the ball backin there court or the designers court.. thanks

Larry, we have not found any pre-flight software to help us out any more than doing a full formal review of all files comming in. Reviews are done when files come in before any production work is done. That is when we can request replacement files if they are not up to specifications or just no good.
I will check and see what versions of pre-flight we have on Monday, maybe one will be helpfull

Tom

hey tom who does the preflighting? you know my situation. and how it all lands in my lap, and then its hurry up and get it proofed. so to make the foolish deadlines you jump over a few stumps sometimes to make the finish time line..well today i got burned and got bit by a ankle bitin dog,whom i did 1.5 hrs worth of favors for in the last 2 weeks..quess what that aint gonna happen agin! got burned by some cmyk type instead of spot,darn designers:( thanks we are lookin into flightcheck again but the lasty time we had it check 14 things more than it needed to! the prefernce's were not the best in my opinion.

Larry,all 3 of us in my department do prefilght, as for cmyk not spot, also watch out for overprint white! thats bit me before. Try sending seps to your paper printer (fit to page) that can help finding items not colorized proper