Some Recent Stuff

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Finishing up a few smaller things for an upcoming show...

I think this is ash, but I'm not certain. One of several small blanks that came in an assortment from eBay. Finished with Antique Oil inside and out, and buffed with the standard three-wheel routine.

Does this look like it's ash to you?

HF038 - 02 800.jpg HF038 - 01 800.jpg

This one is a piece of cherry burl that was pretty cracked when I started with it. Still has some nice figure in places. More Antique Oil, and three-wheel buffed.

HF039 - 01 800.jpg HF039 - 02 800.jpg

And a few pens...desert ironwood from Arizona Silhouette:

DSC_3643 Desert Ironwood 1 800.jpg

Craft Supplies just added a new type of acrylic blank that also includes powdered stone. It seems to be a bit harder to cut than regular acrylics, but a sharp skew handled it fine. It smells pretty bad when drilling or cutting it, but I think the results are worth it.

Here's the malachite:

DSC_3646 Malachite 1 800.jpg

And the turquoise, which I think I could sell a lot of:

DSC_3642 Turquoise 1 800.jpg

As always, finger-pointing and snickering are welcome.

Nice stuff Vaughn! The potpourri pots look great, and in my experience, those always sell well.......or make great gifts. The first one does look like Ash to me, and the burl is really nice. The pens are very nice too. I agree that they should be good sellers. Good luck with the show!

Very nice work Vaughn! First pot looks like ash to me also. Nice forms and finishes on the pots! Pens should sell really well. Really like the turquoise pen - looks like the real deal! Best of luck to you with the show!

Vaughn,

Is that the burl I gave you? If it is, sorry about the cracks.
Hi Pete -

Nope, this is a different piece. I started roughing out the piece you sent me, and it's got a lot of real spongy rotted pockets throughout. I'm going to let it dry some more, then soak it in wood hardener. Still hoping to be able to coax something cool out of it. ;) I'll post the results either way.