"Cover the walls"... But, but???!!!

They told me to do it. "Cover the walls"!:dunno:
"Everything green needs covered!" :D
If you know about Venetian Plaster you will understand that it is not cheap. I don't know how they do it but it looks like they have skimmed the walls with different tones ( color ) of sheetrock mud with short slashing motions, from what I have heard about six or seven times and then they do something to it to give it a smooth finish, almost like lacquer on mahogany, after the 400 grit. I will try to get some pictures of the Venetian walls I did not cover:eek:. Yep, my job to cover about 12 - 4' x8' sheets worth of Venetian Plaster. Can you guess why?:huh: :D
I know........ :)
Shaz :type:

Well, I'd guess that it may be cracking, but that would mean someone did a poor job installing it. It is also hard as a rock, so if they got tired of the look they may want it covered, but I'd think it would be easier to replace the sheetrock.

In other words, I have no idea why you are covering it!:dunno:

It is a new house, never been lived in. I am helping them with the "make ready".:D Oh yeah, by the way, I needed to cover 97" above the wainscote, below the crown, two windows exempt :rolleyes:, with two arch top doors and a set in lower cabinets with a more shallow set of uppers above, recessed in the wall opposite the windows.

Here is the room with the plywood walls. Two arch top doors, an inset cabinet with uppers and lowers, and two windows "Do Not Cover Windows!":rofl:
plywood wall.jpg

plywood walls.jpg

plywood walls (1).jpg

plywood walls (2).jpg

plywood walls (3).jpg
A clue to the reason I was asked to cover the walls with wood can be seen in photo 4 and 5.

Last edited:
You are both close. Let me try to make the questions a bit more concise and thus the answers can be more accurate. #1 What pattern, #2 what material, and #3 why the plywood?
Shaz :)

Last edited:
i love the trim detail in the corner shaz! does the backband miter together?
is this new construction?
pattern looks like a herringbone that you`re laying out? can`t see the grain in your photos to guess at species...and i`m guessin` the ply is to fasten to?

ya killin me shaz..the suspense is killin me :D

i agree on herringbone, the color of the wood looks like walnut, but that could be just on my screen. too hard to tell.

i am still very confused why they would want to cover the newly done venetian plaster????

It looks like herringbone to me too. I am gonna go all the way over onto left field and guess that the material is not wood at all - the photos are pretty obscure but (crazy guess warning - please stand back 40 feet) is it leather???

Presumably if my mad guess is correct the plywood would be so that if a future owner, who has a better money/sense balance, wants it removed then they can:):D

response in red by Shaz
i love the trim detail in the corner shaz! does the backband miter together? Hi Tod, not sure what you mean by the back band, is it the arch trim joining at the corners, or rather the wide casing?
is this new construction? Yes it is a new home.
pattern looks like a herringbone Absolutely correct on the herringbone but I am not doing that work... :( that you`re laying out? can`t see the grain in your photos to guess at species...and i`m guessin` the ply is to fasten to? once more Tod you are right on target, the plaster was not considered a good enough substrate since they will be using contact cement for the wall covering fastener.

ya killin me shaz..the suspense is killin me :D

i agree on herringbone good choice , the color of the wood looks like walnut, but that could be just on my screen. too hard to tell. Sorry Chris, my camera was set on "take fuzzy pictures today!":eek:

i am still very confused why they would want to cover the newly done venetian plaster???? This is a study for the man of the house and he wanted something different:rolleyes:

It looks like herringbone to me too. You too are right Ian, it is the way the installers went about laying out the pattern so as to determine problems they might encounter down the road I am gonna go all the way over onto left field and guess that the material is not wood at all ((:)eek::eek:))) - the photos are pretty obscure but (crazy guess warning - please stand back 40 feet) is it leather??? What a wise group we do have. Putting wisdom with broad minded intuition and i knew the complete story would soon surface, discovered by you all. :thumb:Yes, Leather, 2 1/2" x 8 " pieces. Thinking outside the box are you Ian?:D:rofl:
Presumably if my mad guess is correct the plywood would be so that if a future owner, who has a better money/sense balance, wants it removed then they can:):D Nope, wrong, sorry, back in the box, Ian !!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Here are a couple photos of the Venetian Plaster in a small bathroom taken on the same "fuzzy picture day".
venetian plaster.jpg

venetian plaster (1).jpg

venetian plaster (2).jpg

shaz, a "backband" is generally a seperate piece of trim that`s applied over the edge of a flat casing, usually on the wall side or back of the moulding, hence the name "backband"....it appears as though the trim carpenter used a flat casing with a backband and butted the flat sections and the mitered the backbands where the radiused sections intersect? kinda a bugger...and with the cost of radiused backband, a sweat inducing job for the carpenter..

shaz, a "backband" is generally a seperate piece of trim that`s applied over the edge of a flat casing, usually on the wall side or back of the moulding, hence the name "backband"....it appears as though the trim carpenter used a flat casing with a backband and butted the flat sections and the mitered the backbands where the radiused sections intersect? kinda a bugger...and with the cost of radiused backband, a sweat inducing job for the carpenter..
Hi Tod :wave:,
Thanks for that description, I understand now. Yes they did use a backband just as you describe. In this case, I think:rolleyes:, they filled the smallest space between the corner and the arch (we are talking the flat casing ) with two tiny triangular pieces, acute angles at the bottom curved to mate with the arched flat piece on one side and inset into the inside corner on the other. Having done this the arch backband miters with a very small piece. That small piece miters with the arched backband piece and then the inside corner with a piece that mirrors it. My camera just stopped but I will take a closeup one day and eliminate these thousand words.
The corner looks rather nice and without having to miter the two arched and intersecting backbands on perpendicular walls it really becomes less of a problem. I can only imagine your thoughts, being a man who does the curved stuff regular that this would catch your interest. They cheated.:D:rofl: but solved the problem and saved a lot of time.
Shaz