Combining soybeans

Steve Ash

Two of my favorite things are spring planting and fall harvest.

This afternoon the guy that farms my place on shares (Gary) pulled in with the combine and began to run our soybeans.

I've always missed farming full time since I left the family farm in 1989 to become a building contractor, so it is always nice to stay a little active in farming....kinda gets in your blood and never leaves, not that I ever want it to.

.....this little farm I have lets me stay in touch with my "roots" so to speak.:rofl:

100_3784.jpg

Well for sure don't let the Farming leave your blood Steve. :eek:

Us city boys would starve! :eek:
:eek: ;) :eek:

DT

I tried it on a small scale for two years. When I was in high school my dad bought 40 acres and built a house. He decided it would be good for me :)rofl:) to farm the land. So we planted beans the first year. I learned it wasn't as fun as it looked. We barely made a profit. Considering the time invested we lost money. But at 17 a few hundred was welcomed!

Next year we swapped crops and the bottom fell out. I think we cleared three of four hundred dollars?

Next year was our best. We rented out the land made double! :rofl: End of farming days.

Steve...what are you combining with soybeans?......Making a feed?....A new breakfast cereal? Have you ever been downwind from a soy processing factory. If you have, you won't want anything with soy beans near your mouth......What are you combining with those beans?:eek::rolleyes::D

From one old farm boy to another.....:D

Ken, I don't make anything nor do I use the soybeans for any other purpose than to sell. We rotate corn then soybeans on the field. I also sell the corn but since I heat my home with a corn furnace I use part of the corn crop to heat my home. This year since it is in soybeans I will sell the beans and use part of that income to either buy enough corn to heat my home or buy wood pellets.....the furnace will burn either. The rest of the income pays my land taxes.

Two of my favorite things are spring planting and fall harvest.

This afternoon the guy that farms my place on shares (Gary) pulled in with the combine and began to run our soybeans.

I've always missed farming full time since I left the family farm in 1989 to become a building contractor, so it is always nice to stay a little active in farming....kinda gets in your blood and never leaves, not that I ever want it to.

.....this little farm I have lets me stay in touch with my "roots" so to speak.:rofl:

I know exactly how you feel Steve. I sat in a combine for a few hours a few weeks ago and while farming is all dairy farming up here, its still farming and does it into you. Over the years we have been potato, chicken and now dairy farmers. Dairy farming is the most work (24/7/365), but it brings in the milk check every two weeks so cash flow is great and very steady. At 24 dollars a hundred weight, the farmers are heading into the black finally. (1.92 a gallon for milk).

Its kind of odd. My family has two dairy farms, but do not need my measly 400 acres for feed so I rent it out. (300 hundred in woodlot, 100 in crop ground). I only make 800 bucks a year, but use that for taxes too. I am still a bit mad. This now makes 4 years without being paid and the taxes jumped 1000 dollars to a total of 3950 for this year. Still without them farming, I lose my crop tax deduction...its a catch 22.

Travis I wish it was enough to pay all my land taxes, but it falls a little short. Maybe with the increase in crop prices it will do the whole thing this year....too bad you haven't been able to collect your past due rent.