Rob's New Shop

Bob, it's looking good! Come on, bore us with the siding details!! It's slow here at work, I've got 2 more hours to go! :D Have you started playing with a floor plan yet? or waiting to put tools in and play with them in real time a while first? Jim.

Okay. Now that we're all caught up, here's where it stands today. Most of the siding done, roof done, ridge vent done. I don't have a picture of the back but it still has some siding to go.

img_0699.jpg

img_0700.jpg

Since our house was just built 2 1/2 years ago, it wasn't too much of a problem getting siding and shingles to match:

img_0701.jpg

Some pics of the inside, with windows.

img_0704.jpg

img_0705.jpg

Bob, it's looking good! Come on, bore us with the siding details!! It's slow here at work, I've got 2 more hours to go! :D Have you started playing with a floor plan yet? or waiting to put tools in and play with them in real time a while first? Jim.

Actually, I posted a floor plan in post #2. It hasn't changed much, if at all. Of course, I'll need to fine-tune it when I get the tools in there. I'll probably wait to put up any interior walls until I get the tools in there & see how it flows.

Since you really want to know, here was the issue with the siding. WARNING: THIS STORY IS BORING. I found the manufacturer, style and color from our agreement of sale on our house, since we really want the shop to match the house. My shop builder couldn't find it anywhere. That's because I told him the manufacturer was Owens Corning. Turns out the manufacturer is Vytec but it didn't say that on my agreement of sale. (Later I found out that Owens Corning makes Vytec). Anyway, the shop builder found another brand of siding that was close. Not perfect but we decided that if we couldn't find the right one, we could use it. I decided to call my house builder & see if they could dig up where they got the siding so we could get the right stuff. They referred me to the roofer who gave me the supplier and style/color, etc. The info I got was Vytec/Proside Dutchlap/Country Almond. I sent an email to my shop builder with that info. Turns out his girl never got the email so she went ahead & ordered the backup (wrong manufacturer/style/color) siding. When I found out she did this, it had already been delivered. Well, we cleared that up and returned the backup siding, ordered the right siding. Thought all was cool. I was at home when the supposed correct siding was delivered so I figure I'd open it up just to make sure it's right. Yup. You guessed it. Wrong color. Called the house roofer who gave me the information. Asked her again the color. She said: "Sierra Brown". :bang:
Me: "WHAT!?! You told me Country Almond!"
Her: "I don't know why i would have told you that since it says right here it Sierra Brown".
Me: "Did I make up Country Almond????"
Her: "No, it's a real color but I don't know where you got that from."
Me: "Um, YOU!!!!"

Anyway, my shop builder returned the Country Almond and got the Sierra Brown and the guys didn't really lose much time and all ends well. See, told you it was a boring story.

Here's an updated shop layout since the one in post #2 is a little hard to read.

layout.jpg

A note about the closet on the left. I had been hoping to have the builder put that in with stairs going above it to the attic. It would be 4'x8' and hold the cyclone and air compressor. However, the quoted price was too high for me to stomach right now. That'll be a future add-on.

Looks Great!!

That looks great Rob!:thumb: Let me know if you need help with the interior, I will be glad to make the ride up every now and then to help out. Least I can do for having a few meetings in the near future...:rolleyes:

Rob,

:thumb: Your shop looks great. It looks like you will have plenty to do over the Holidays. It also looks like you have plenty of help.

Brian

Turkey

That turkey would look better in your shop than that christmas plane that you were going buy...:huh:

Rob,

It's really looking great, and it matches the house really well!

As for your shop 'pet', I'd trade that for the feline shop princess that has adopted me any day. Yours would be far more delicious with cranberry sauce and gravy ;)

- Marty -

It's been a while so I just wanted to post a quick update. Since the framers left, it's been moving at a snail's pace. I don't have any pictures to show because nothing has really changed. Even if I had pictures, I couldn't upload them because my PC's dead. Anyway, here's what's going on.

The two trenches to the house go on either side of the air conditioner unit. With all the heavy rain we've been getting, the unit fell into one of the trenches. It sat there for a few days until the guys came to get it out. Damage unknown. Also, the fall must have knocked the downspout around because all the rainwater was going straight into the trench. From the trench, the water & mud worked its way into the basement. Big mess. Mud everywhere. Some damage to some mattresses and interior doors I've been storing down there. Not too happy with that.

I still don't have a door so the turkey is still living in there. If you recall, I'm going with swinging doors instead of a garage door so my builder is having a hard time finding one without spending a fortune. He says he's going to build them. I'm waiting for the specs on it.

That's it.

Sorry about all your problems Rob.

It's hard for me to belive that your builder is having problems with the swinging doors. I would think that a couple of wide solid slab doors would do the job nicely. Just how wide is the opening?

It's hard for me to belive that your builder is having problems with the swinging doors. I would think that a couple of wide solid slab doors would do the job nicely. Just how wide is the opening?

Yeah, it's hard for me to believe too. I don't have the exact dimensions with me here but it's about the size of a standard single car garage door.