Rob's New Shop

Haven't seen Tom Turkey in the shop for a while but he hangs out in the yard all the time. My kids did find a dead raccoon right behind the shop though. He was a big sucker. Something must have dragged him away because he disappeared before I had a chance to dispose of him.

Talked to the builder today and the doors should be ready for installation on Wednesday. Hope so. Still need to get the electrical panel put in so the township can inspect. Once that's done, I can move in & start running wires.

What happened to flooded basement ? No fun!!

Another source of frustration. The reason for the flooding was that the trench was open for weeks. We've been getting a lot of rain and for a while there, the downspout was draining right into the trench. That, along with the rest of the rainwater was applying pressure to the conduits going into the house. I guess the sealant they used wasn't good enough to hold so they came out and put something else around the conduits. Can't even remember what it's called. Anyway, they finally did fill in the trench on Friday so that should help. I will definitely be keep an eye on it, though. We'll see.

Well, they finally got the doors on last Friday. I wanted to get some quick pictures up. I've had some personal stuff going on so I couldn't get to it sooner.

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

The builder made the doors. They came out pretty well although I may change the color. Not sure if I like that darker brown. I forget the name of the material he used but it's made to stand up to the weather. It's not wood. I'm pretty happy with them. They swing out. I'll try to get a picture of them opened up tomorrow.

Yes, the turkey has moved out so I'm probably going to start moving in pretty soon. I still need to have the electrical panel installed.

All building projects seem have trials and tribulations, and it looks like you're getting your share, but you'll get through them. That's gonna be a great place to make sawdust, Rob. I'd love to have a building like that to play in. :thumb:

The doors look GREAT !!!

It might have been worth the wait. I think it really makes the building look more like an addition to your house instead of a shop that was added on. ( I am not sure that makes any sense )

Last edited:
Here are some shots of the doors open. You can see the the right door is fixed in place, but can be opened by releasing the posts at top & bottom.

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

I'll need to come up with a way to secure the doors when opened up. Don't want a gust of wind to come along & slam them around.

Here are some shots of the doors open. You can see the the right door is fixed in place, but can be opened by releasing the posts at top & bottom.

View attachment 3824
I'll need to come up with a way to secure the doors when opened up. Don't want a gust of wind to come along & slam them around.

Rob, the simplest, (and probably the best looking) way to secure the doors when opened would be to add a bottom slide latch on the left door, (like the one on the right door), and then drive a short piece of pipe, (maybe 12 to 18 inches long) into the pavement directly under those two latches when the doors are opened where you want them. If those latch rods are long enough, you can drive the pipes in so they are flush to the top of the pavement and won't be in the way of anything and you just drop the latch rods into them to hold the doors firmly in place when open.

Good Looking Doors.:thumb:

That's a great idea, Norman. I would need to drill into the asphalt driveway to do that which makes me a little nervous. With the crumbling. Sounds like it would work, though.

To secure my doors I simply added a eye hook with the latch on the door and the eye hook on the outside wall. I put the latch close to one of the stiles on the door so you can't really see it, and the eye hook is very small barely visible.

The electrical panel is going is getting connected today so once we get the final inspection from the township, I'm going to start wiring. I'd like some feedback on my lighting plan. Don't worry about the light over the toilet wall. I'm mainly concerned about the lighting for the general shop area. The left side which is about 24'x'27'.

shoplights.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated.