Home Made Handles

Tony Falotico

I've been low key lately, family and work matters have kept my shop time to a minimum, but it looks like things are beginning to settle down and I've gotten back to the shop.

I bought some unhandled tools from David Ellsworth and Doug Thompson and turned my own handles. I'm pretty sure the wood is ash. Three of the ferrels are made from threaded brass fittings, one from a 3/4" copper coupler. Either one works just fine. The copper is a little easier without the threads. I threaded the brass on the handle coated with epoxy, the copper is epoxy.

As you can see, I like longer handles. My theory is you can always choke up on the grip, but once you get to the end that's it. The two gouge handles are 19" long, and the Ellsworth's are 22 and 23" long. The (store bought) Crown pro pm Ellsworth with the black handle is added for reference.

I really like them, they fit my grip and are very comfortable for me. It was a fun project, looking forward to doing some more in the near future.

Attachments

• PA300058 (755 x 565).jpg
    PA300058 (755 x 565).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 81
  • PA300061 (755 x 565).jpg
    PA300061 (755 x 565).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 53
  • PA300062 (755 x 565).jpg
    PA300062 (755 x 565).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
They look great Tony! :thumb:

That wood certainly looks like Ash to me.

one point, the copper Ferrel is too long, IMHO, I think it would look better and be stronger if it was half the length.

Copper turns really easy with your wood turning tools, just remove the jaws from one of your chucks, then put the ferrel into the chuck carriers, they will hold it fine, and using a parting too, on it's side you can easily cut the ferrel in two.

Still, it should serve you fine just as it is, I'd not change it, just offering up an opinion.

I like turning my own handles so I can make them all somewhat different, that way you have a better chance of finding it when you need it.

Cheers!

Tony, those look great! :thumb: What type of finish did you use on them? I done some with an oil finish and others with nothing and just let my hand "oils" get worked in.

Real nice, Tony. I'm a big fan of DIY tools and handles, and these are nice as any. I'm partial to ash, too. Love those strong grain lines!

-Joe

Had a Sorby handle break just last week! So, I guess I'll give it a whirl turning me one! Just have to figure out how to properly fit the tang into the handle. Bout all the hard wood I have big enough for a handle around here is Beech. Would that work ok? You have inspired me! Great looking handles!

Thanks for the comments all

Stu : I agree about the copper ferrule being a bit too long, I considered cutting it down some but didn't. I think it will be fine the way it is, if not I'll redo it.

Wayne : go to the Thompson Lathe Tool site http://www.thompsonlathetools.com , under HANDLES there is a pdf file that explains how to cut the tang into the handle. The Beech should work just fine. If not, Craft Supplies USA sell blanks, or let me know and I'll ship you piece of ash :D

Thanks for the info and the link. It is a Sorby Midi Skew Chisel with a tang, so the instructions on the website were great. Gonna need a drill chuck for the tailstock to do the drilling. Wonder if one on an old dewalt drill would work? Thanks again! I'll let you know how it TURNS out!

Tony, great looking handles and good job! :thumb:
You must be a tall feller, those two long handles for me short stature, would have to stand on a box at the lathe to keep from dragging them on the floor!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh also, thanks for the heads up on the pdf information, good stuff.