Workbench question

I might finally be able to set up a small workshop. First thing to be built will be a workbench. Due to cost and availability, SYP (southern yellow pine) will be the material used.

I have collected a number of different plans and have reread a few in the past couple of days and it looks like most of the bench tops are not attached to the legs but rather sit in pointed dowels that align the bench top to the base. Am I reading this correctly or is there a better way.

Obviously I would like a sturdy workbench without racking but it also will have to be somewhat easily disassembled so it can be removed at some point from the workroom through very tight quarters. I will laminate some ripped SYP for the slab top and then build a base that can be bolted together with bed bolts. Then I would have two end bases, four stretchers and the top for transport.

Does this make sense and can anybody offer some pointers or advice?

My 3" thick top is attached in 12 places through 1 1/2" x 3" strechers or supports with 1/4" x 5" lag screws (from the bottom). My top weighs about 200lbs. If it weighed closer to 300lbs, I'd be more likely to trust gravity and pegs.

The current Roy Underhill series has shown benches that just sit on a frame and some that are attached via sliding dovetails. Mine is laminated maple bolted to store-bought metal legs. There ain't no law. Go with what works for you.

My bench is SYP and the top just rests loosely over (3) 1/2" dowels pins. I hand plane, scrape, set up my slip knives for the shaper in the end vice with a long handled wrench. No a single problem with it moving.

Assuming you going to have something similar in size and weight the dowels will amaze you. You will really appreciate it when you have to move it and can just lift off the top too.

Bench2.JPG

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and especially you Jeff. It sure looked like they were just seating the top on the aligned dowels pins. Since one of the articles was written by Frank Klausz I figured it must have some merit.

What I want to build is EXACTLY like yours Jeff. I hope you don't mind a few more questions in a few weeks when I can get started on this project.