River Birch Bowl

Cody Colston

I don't post here often but thought I'd show proof that i do turn occassionally...although not nearly as well as you guys do.

8 3/4" x 4 1/2" with gloss lacquer finish.

Attachments

• RB Bowl 003.jpg
    RB Bowl 003.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 53
  • RB Bowl 004.jpg
    RB Bowl 004.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 54
Cody, I really like the form of this one:thumb: Especially the beads...Well Done! I think I may have to try and copy it...thanks.

Cody, very attractive form. I like the beads.
Wouln't be nice to put a texturing between the two beads ?
But that's just me.
You did a great job. :thumb:

Like all others, like the rim like th beads. My only other comment is I don;t really like the foot. Something much small would have seemed appropriate to me. JaHOFAT/dI (just a humble opinion from a turning/design idiot):rofl:

I'll jump on the band wagon as well. Not necessarily a real functional bowl, but I love the undercut rim and the beads. :thumb: Actually, I like everything about it.

i do turn occassionally...although not nearly as well as you guys do.

Methinks the turner doth protest too much ;)

I think that this is great ... obviously a case of quality rather than quantity. Like all those before me I really the bead detail and yes ... I plan to copy this bit of detail also ... just call me John "the plagiarist" Bartley :eek:.

cheers eh?

Nice to see you Cody.

What is "River Birch" compared to just plain old Birch? :huh:

How big is the piece?

I very much like the form, and the detail on the beads is really cool, I've not tried that at all, but I might give it a go on the next one I do.

Thanks for showing it to us :wave:

Like the shape/proportions Cody, if that birch is anything like the samples of birch I get here (relatively soft) you did well to keep those beads looking crisp and not sanded away, the undercutting close to the rim leaving a thin wall gives it a lighter look.

I've been camping so no computer access over the weekend.

Thanks for all the kind comments, y'all. It's really flattering and extremely friendly, too considering I don't post here much. Perhaps I can fix that. ;)

Ad de Crom - I initially intended on trying to make a chatter tool and use it on the area between the beads but chickened out. I also thought about burning a design but couldn't settle on one so I just left it plain.

Billy B. - After parting it off the chuck, I realized the foot was too big, also.

Stu - We don't have regular Birch here in East Texas but what I call River Birch grows in the creek bottoms and wet areas. It has bark that peels off in paper-thin layers so that the tree looks pretty shaggy. I got the blanks from a couple of trees that the railroad cut down at a crossing near my house.
The bowl is 8 3/4" x 4 1/2"

Thanks again for all the comments.

I initially intended on trying to make a chatter tool and use it on the area between the beads but chickened out.

I've never done any chatter work, but I understand that it works best (or perhaps only?) on end grain. So you probably would have ended up with a chatter pattern that "came and went" around the bowl.

Who knows - that could be considered a neat effect if you did it on purpose...? :dunno:

Nice bowl!