What's going on this weekend?

Jeff Bower

I will be doing what I said I was doing last weekend. Replacing the bearings in my lathe. I didn't have any time last weekend or this week, but the LOML told me I "had" to do it tomorrow as I have some christmas gifts that need to be done very soon. I will also be watching my beloved Kansas Jayhawks attempting to go 10-0 this weekend...also the bball team starts regular season play tonight, but no TV:doh:

Rock Chaulk J-Hawk!

What about all of you?

Got a meeting tomorrow with some folks about matters at my church. Afterwards would like to go hunting, season starts tomorrow, but have been so busy haven't scouted or even gotten my clothes out. ATV is in shop and that limits where I can go these days. Might have get in shop and make shavings. My tools miss me.

Turning Class

I'm teaching a Basic Bowl Turning class for our woodworking club on Saturday.

Mostly "Honey-do" stuff on Sunday.

Have a great weekend !

Moving a building beside the barn (10X16) I am converting for a wood shop. Then hope to start moving some of the rough cut I bought in to it and get it stickered. As soon as I hit the Hard Maple and Walnut, might have to stop for the evening. :rofl::rofl:
Saturday have to turn a pen for my little sister and make an angel and a set of snowmen for my mom as the 11th is their shared birthday and am going to my little sis's house for their birthday party. That will pretty much shoot this weekend. Oh, have to cut and haul some more firewood home and check on some rubs, another week and deer season for shotgun or handgun or muzzleloader starts.

Well Jeff, you know what your LOML told you, so be a nice boy, and replaced the bearings of your lathe, maybe she allows you to watch your favorite sports programs(joke). I can only watch to some boring football games, so my TV is turned off.
Stay at home this weekend till sunday night, than it's party time in town, with the opening of the new carnival season, it will be very late that night.
Have fun.

What a difference a couple of hours can make

I'm going to be recovering from the gut shot I got yesterday in the doctor's office! A couple of weeks ago I went to the ER with what I thought was a kidney infection (it wasn't) and the urinalysis showed some sugar, so the ER doc recommended that I see my PCP--after a round in the vampire lab. Yesterday was the day, saw the doc at about 9:00 a.m., and I've been diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure, and elevated cholesterol---all at one fell swoop! I'm still reeling from the shock, and contemplating the four medications and blood-sugar tester sitting on my kitchen counter. My mother (who is also diabetic) has sent me a list of OK and no-no foods, but if there's anyone here who has some practical advice or information, PLEASE impart it here. Thanks.

Nancy (41 days)

Dear Nancy,

Been there, done that, still have the T-shirt. It's tough and shocking. My doctor was not as gentle as yours. He just said 'Here's what you're looking at: blindness, impotence, amputation, and death."

Charming. But...

It sure got my attention (my mother has it too). I was predisposed, but I also did it to myself. Lots of people are doing it to themselves right now. I was 70 pounds overweight, and while I was active, I rarely exercised. I made a deal with my doctor: if I could lose all the fat and build muscle, we'd hold off on the drugs and pinpricks for a few months. Of course, he didn't believe I could do it. But when I walked out of his office that day, I realized my whole life had changed in half an hour.

That was four years ago. It took me four months to get rid of all that fat. But the effort changed my body, it's relationship to sugar, the way it processes everything. No drugs, no pinpricks. I gained a little back when I quit smoking, which I'm trying to lose again. But I even got most of my good eyesight back. I had to cut out ALL carbs: pasta, bread, other sugars, and ALL fat: cheese butter, you name it. It wasn't a sacrifice: if I were dead, I couldn't eat any of those things anyway... ;) And half an hour of hard exercise every day actually made me feel better... ;)

All this to say *you* CAN do something about this. Get slim, get fit, eat right: you'll be amazed at the change. No-one can garuntee you can avoid the drugs and the pinpricks... but your odds will be much, much better.

I wish I could tell this story to everyone on this board who's more than 30 lbs. over, since most of them will have exactly the same doctor's visit you and I have had. But then I'd sound like chicken little, so I guess there's nothing for it but to wait.

Best of luck on this new journey, Nancy. We love you, and lots of us are walking the same road... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Co-worker's wedding today, shop time tomorrow. Need to shim out a spot on the new wall that just happens to be where I want a cleat or it could be ignored.

We'll be working on my built in sky hook. :thumb:

The 2X6's are in the attic, the threaded rods are cut to size.
Have to get the rust off the "I" beam and put a nice heavy
coat of no nonsense paint on it. Then the fun begins. :huh:

DT

No sugar. No white carbs. No fat.

Drop your weight. Exercise regularly.

Now before you think no fun, welcome to more veggies, chicken and fish, some fruit. And test, test, test. Everyone is different. Learn which foods impact YOUR sugar level. Others can help but only you can test for the results on you. Keep records.

Here is the hardest part. Tell people up front that your are diabetic and what you can eat. Don't let them decide what is good for you. Don't cheat.
The alternative is not good.

Been there. Doing that.

The world has not come to an end. You are just at a new beginning. Choose to enjoy it. And I know it ain't easy, but I have met you and I know you can do it. Chin up, girl. You can do this.

Thank you Carol for that pep talk. As a matter of fact, Carol, besides my mother you were one of the first people I thought about when the doctor told me---and as busy as you are with such diverse interests, you are still managing yours so well. I just need to get my head around what has happened----.

Nancy (41 days)

Diet and exercise....Diet and exercise....Diet and exercise....Diet and exercise....Diet and exercise....Diet and exercise....Diet and exercise....:thumb:

Get the point, I am involved in Cardiac Rehab on a twice a week basis. I see gals and guys with Heart problems , diabetes, Gluten problems as well as Just being OLD... Blood sugars are a mater of watching what you eat/drink as well as the other swell thing in your blood, But exercise is the secret. Join up with a rehab unit. Ask you DR. if he/she will recommend a Rehab unit. Then set up a rutine IO have been going for the 6 years sinse my Bypass surgery. Most folks ther are suffering from high numbers and high sugar and they/we work out weekly and enjoy each other's company. Get involved and enjoy the work out to fitness.

Oops, are you in Canada where they would rather you die than heal. I hope not.