Wood this be a sacrelige?

Frank Fusco

The 1 1/2" roughing gouge below belonged to a friend named Norm. He was a good friend, brother Mason, Shriner, same church and in our woodturning club. Good guy. When he died about a year ago his widow gave me first crack at buying his tools. Among the things I acquired was this roughing gouge. I don't like that big knob on the end and want to make a handle about six, or more, inches longer. But, so far, I haven't been able to destroy 'Norm's' handle. BTW the gouge is an L. & F. J. White brand. Never heard of it. Might qualify as 'old arn'. Dunno.

Attachments

• Norm's gouge.jpg
    Norm's gouge.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 66
Frank, I had the same debate with my chisels I inherited from my grandpa. In the end I decided to replace the handles as it made it easier and safer for me to use them. I know he would want me to use them and enjoy them. I'm betting your old friend would want the same. Maybe you could copy the design and leave off the big knob?

I'm with Jeff. If it were me, I'd knock off the old handle and hang it on a wall somewhere.

And when you make a new one, sink that tang a lot deeper in the handle.

-Joe

SOD.... Same ole Ditto.... But, I like the knob on the handle for a roughing gouge. Each of us likes the feel of a different shape tool, either what we are acustomed to or by your own design. I too like the idea of making handles that "Feel Good to ME" and I like that knob to give good grip for massive materal removal on a big gouge. Maybe it is not in the right place for your comfort zone or need adapting to your arm length, etc.

Like was said and agreed by others, pop it off, mount it as display for reminding of your friend and make a new handle to fit you, but consider that knob in your design, Remember,you can always take the knob off a lot easier than putting it on.

Thanks all. I believe what I am going to do is put that handle on another, smaller tool. The big knob bothers me, I sure won't put one on my new roughing gouge handle. Interesting how things fit. Norm was about 6'2", maybe more. I'm 5'7" with correspondingly shorter arms and I want a longer handle, this one makes me feel cramped. Now, to find just the right piece of wood for the new handle. I don't have any appropriate hickory on hand but might have a piece of Osage Orange that wood work.

Osage will make an awesome handle! I've made a pile of handles from a close relative, locust. Nice and dense, feels really good in the hand.

handles.jpg

-Joe

Late to the thread, but I'm guessing Norm would want you to make the tool work best for you. Even with a different handle, you'll always be thinking of him when you use the gouge. If you can save the handle for another tool, so much the better.