My Shop Roof Rebuild

S

Steve Clardy

Many of you all heard about my disaster this morning in Tods post, BAD NEWS. I called Tod this morning and told him about my disaster this morning.
I really appreciate;) :D :thumb: all the offers of help guys. I have a pretty good handle on it now.

This morning, after 17" of snowfall, I awoke to hearing my wife talking on the phone to our oldest son Charles.
He had just told Her that our shop roof had collasped.
I venture to the kitchen window, not really wanting to look.
After a pot of coffee and a good cry, I ventured out to check things out.
What a mess is all I can say. Now I can say I know what others go through with storm damage.
I made a quick call to one of my other sons, a framer contractor.
After he spent two hours digging out, driving 4 miles and getting stuck, he arrived.

We did some initial cleanup, snow removal.
Found a few damaged machines, but not many.
Bandsaw is history. Tablesaw and 20" planer has minor damage. Drill press is probably history.
Tablesaw turned out well for it to be holding up a broken truss, as the planer also has a truss sitting on the infeed bed.

Anyway, I have all new roof sheeting ordered, 44 sheets of 36"x22'.
James called his truss manufactor for a truss spec, got it faxed here. [My office and restroom survived :thumb: ]
James ordered the truss material, to be delivered tomorrow, sans road conditions. As of yet, no State snowplow has been on our road yet. We are the last on the list to get snow removal, so we are pretty well stuck at home.
What we did mainly today,7 of us, was to remove snow and scrap lumber.
Snow mainly so it wouldn't melt and have a flood in my office.
We had to cut many trusses to get the tools shifted to an area out of the weather.
I still have a wall full of hand tools I couldn't get to, but will tomorrow.
The trusses got to settling on us, so we had to quit. I really didn't want anyone to get hurt.
So the game plan tomorrow is more cleanup, snow removal, etc.
James will try to get his boom truck here to remove the damaged sections, then start building the trusses if the materials get here.
He has a crew of about twenty on another job. He said he will pull a few of them off and get some trusses built.:D :thumb:
Sheeting is supposed to be here maybe tuesday I hope.
Hopefully we can get it under roof next week, and back to work on cabinets within two weeks.
I've been wanting to put in a ceiling, with blow insulation, so now's a good time I guess.
Electrical will be done as we need it. Most all of my 8' lights are junk.

And, add to all this mess, I have a whole house full of cabinets, base trim, staircase job going. And I also just started another set of kitchen cabinets for another job. So I'm going to be a little busy for a while.
I'll be checking in from day to day, but not posting much probably.

Heres a few shots of what I used to call a shop.

Steve

PS. Jim Hagar. Thanks for calling and checking up on us.:thumb:

Last edited:
Looks bad Steve, it also looks like you've got some good help getting things quickly taken care of. It appears from the pictures that the damage was to the roof and tools, are all the walls salvageable at least after some straightening back up? Are the carriers also still in good condition? Will you be putting your new trusses closer together, from the pictures it looks like they were about 8' apart, would 4' O.C. be a good idea in case you get something like this again?

If those materials get there it shouldn't take long for you to be back in business. Hopefully they get those roads cleared, maybe a call to your county road commission explaining your dire need to get the materials delivered might prompt them to get you cleaned out a little quicker.

Lord have mercy!!!:eek: My jaw dropped on the first picture, and kept going from there. Man, oh man. I can understand the cry, Steve. I'm heart broken for you. God speed on the repair! Glad you got some one in the biz that's close to you. And I ditto the remarks earlier.. so glad no one was hurt. Jim.

Looks bad Steve, it also looks like you've got some good help getting things quickly taken care of. It appears from the pictures that the damage was to the roof and tools, are all the walls salvageable at least after some straightening back up? Are the carriers also still in good condition? Will you be putting your new trusses closer together, from the pictures it looks like they were about 8' apart, would 4' O.C. be a good idea in case you get something like this again?

If those materials get there it shouldn't take long for you to be back in business. Hopefully they get those roads cleared, maybe a call to your county road commission explaining your dire need to get the materials delivered might prompt them to get you cleaned out a little quicker.

Tod. We're good for now. Have wood heat and pantry stocked.
Have several sons that frame, electrical, and are very willing to help. Something I am very thankful for.

Steve. Trusses are 8', or they were. Built from 2x6's.
No way to put in more. They sit on 6x6 posts.
New trusses will be 2x8 top, 2x12 bottom.
One wall is pushed out about 6", but will probably be of after we get a couple more trusses down, which are pushing against it. May have to push it back in place, when we set the new trusses.

Steve

I'm just sitting here with my mouth open...

As near as I can tell, this disaster recovery job is already going faster and smoother than any planned construction effort I've ever been involved with.

Always good to see people who actually know what they're doing go about their work, even if the circumstances truly suck. If this were in my neighborhood, I'd be over there ready to help...but I suspect I'd just slow you down.:p

Hey Steve,
What a shocker! I'm still sitting here with my mouth wide open. Hope you have good insurance!

In any case, sounds like you have awesome family support and that will get you through.

If you aren't ready for something funny skip the rest of this paragraph. Be sure and don't throw any of those crushed machines away - there are probably some FW members who would take a swing at restoring them - I've seen worse posted here already!

Lots of folk here would love to help in any way we can. Don't think twice about letting us know what we can do.

Man that's sad. Upside, no one was hurt and you have family and equipment available to help put the sticks back together. Hope insurance comes through OK.
17" of snow, we lucked out here, under one inch, gone now.
Irony: At this moment, my wife is watching something on TV called "Ice Wars".

Good luck Steve, having all the family and friends you have shows well on you.

Cheers!

PS, you get the award for the messiest shop :eek: ;) :D

Stay warm!

This is a thread that we all wish had never happened :( . But, I am sure that we will all enjoy it. :thumb:

It looks like you are right on top of things Steve and the shop will be back in operation soon! :thumb: :thumb:

Steve,

So sorry to hear about your roof getting caved in by snow. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. This is sincere!!

Denise

Steve

Thanks for taking the time to post, what a challenge you and your family have facing you.

I had some minor (compared to you) water damage from hurricanes in Fl several years ago. I was tearing out the water soaked insulation from the attic feeling pretty good about my progress until my foot slipped off a joist and I kicked three holes in the ceiling trying to keep my balance. I didn't go through but I made a mess of the ceiling that otherwise would have dried out just fine.

Not trying to diminish the travail that you are going through, just hope that you might get a bit of a grin thinking about what happened to me. Lots of swearing when I first got down then lots of laughing when I considered what I must have looked like up there, trying to regain my balance and kicking holes all around me.

Tell your kids we are all so thankful that they are there to help you out and that they and you have the skills to put that shop back together again.

Take care

Steve,
I have no idea what to say......the only thing I can think of is thank God you were not in there working. I lift my coffee cup to a to a new and improved shop :thumb: