My Shop Roof Rebuild

Hi Steve,
It is so good to know you have that work coming in. It is good to feel the wood of a new project, to be able to see the plans, to struggle with the sequence, and the errors of the designer. It is good to be able to walk to the saw, feel the hard cold of the winter steel ( not with snow flakes on it though) and hear the familiar sound of the nail gun pop and hiss, pop and hiss as the new project takes form. Your comrades here knew you would be alright, you can tell from earlier posts. I am proud to be part of a group that you are a member of.
Respectfully,
Robert Schaubhut :)

Been 10 days since I've done an update on the shop.
I have done some organizing and putting things up, but haven't really worked on the shop ceiling till this evening.

Youngest Son came home tired, so we didn't accomplish much.
Worked on the ceiling over the lumber racks. Theres only about 18" of clearance there, so it was slow going.

Got the joists finished up in one section, and only one sheet of osb.

After the ceiling gets all done, I need to attack the flue pipe surround. My heat is going straight up into the roof. Supposed to get really cold this weekend, so I need to work on this of an evening when time permits.
I'm busy doing cabinets trying to get caught up during the daytime.
30 days with no income is gonna show up as red marks in the books one of these days.:eek: :(

Stay tuned........

Last edited:
Steve,
It's easy to get discouraged since you know things need to be done but you also have to set priorities (making a living) If it were me it looks like you can close up that last section with about 3 sections of OSB. I think I'd do what I need to close up that section then I wouldn't have it as a big thing staring me in the face. Then I'd say to myself, everything else can wait, and go on and do project that pay the bills. Of course thats just me.

Steve,
It's easy to get discouraged since you know things need to be done but you also have to set priorities (making a living) If it were me it looks like you can close up that last section with about 3 sections of OSB. I think I'd do what I need to close up that section then I wouldn't have it as a big thing staring me in the face. Then I'd say to myself, everything else can wait, and go on and do project that pay the bills. Of course thats just me.

I may do that yet. With the gable ends not insulated now, my heat is going right on out. Through the end caps covering the roof and sides.

OK, my computer's been down a couple days.....what did I miss here????? Jim.

Sorry Jim. Missed your post.

Sam Blasco [and tod evans had a hand in it somewhere:huh: ] talked to the owner of MiniMax, and got me a new bandsaw.:D
Mine got crunched by a truss. Broke the riser bracket casting.

No pictures to share tonight. I figure I've shown enough ceiling pics;)

My wife and youngest son helped me get the last remaining ceiling joists and 7 sheets of osb up on the ceiling.

So----CEILING IS UP:thumb:

Now all is left is the stove pipe surround, two more lights on the front end of the shop above the 2- 10x10 overhead doors, and wire them in.
Trim out the ceiling to walls. [I'll do that later]

Then I can call the man that offered to blow the insulation in for me [no charge:thumb: :D :thumb: ]
So I need to get 34-40 bags ordered for that operation.

Thanks all:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ok. Probably about the last update on my shop.

Had the insulation blown in.
A guy that works at the lumber yard where I buy a lot of materials [all of my roof reconstruction material] offered to blo the insulation in for me, no charge.:D :thumb:
Two different evening he brought his wife and daughter over and they blowed the insulation in. I had ordered 35 bags, and was a littl short.
So yesterday they delivered 5 more bags, along with a load of plywood for cabinets.
He came over this afternoon, and in about an hour had it done. Loaded the blower and left.
Man it sure is nice and cozy in the shop now.

This morning I came in and it was 62 in the shop. I had only put enough firewood in the stove last night to keep it going. 4-5 chunks.
This temperature was before he had finished all the insulation.
We had figured to blo it 10" deep, but it's actually about 14-15" deep in most places. So I have way over R-30. Probably closer to R-40 now.
It was 20 degrees out this morning, with the shop at 62. Woohooo:D
Today I've only put in about ten chunks of wood.

Last edited:
Well, replacing the roof sure wasn't the intended way to get your ceiling finished and shop insulated, but in the long run you're gonna be in better shape than before the collapse. ;) It's good to see things are now finished up overhead and you can get back to business. :)