My Shop Roof Rebuild

Steve,

So sorry to hear of your misfortune. As others have said though, thank God the nobody was hurt! I hope you get things back in working condition very soon.

Good luck!

John

Well Steve, that's gotta be one of the suckiest shop tours I've seen. :eek:

I'll simply repeat with others here have said:

Dropped jaw...glad nobody's hurt...great that you have good and talented family backup...and let me know if I can help in any way.

We're all pullin' for you. :thumb:

Steve,
That sucks! OK the bright side - new roof, new tools, no one hurt, insurance should pay, office workable, great family support and all of us pullin for you. Should be a quick recovery. Let us know if we can help.

Steve,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Best of luck getting things back together.

For everybody, over on the "old" forum Dennis Peacock has put together a very easy way to send contributions for an unofficial rebuilding fund. It's a good way to pitch in for a worthy cause.

John

Last edited:
HOLY COW....and I moan and groan about the little bit of snow we get here. :doh: Glad everything is going well for the rebuild and that no one was in there and also your projects didn't get distroyed too. Its good to hear you have friends and family that are willling to pitch in to help.
Reg

Just a quick note everyone.
I'm just so without words here as what to say.
I'd rather be on the giving end, but find myself on the receiving end.
I do appreciate all of this.

Today was a major cleanup day. All the roof is off, removed, except the front 16', which is fairly well intact. It cover my office and such. So we will leave it till the new trusses are up. Then remove the sheeting on it, and go from there.
It's been a hard day. We spent a hour or so just getting the boom truck in place, then another hour of digging snow and tugging to get it on the other side of the shop.
Had some thrilling moments, hearing tin and wood being torn apart, and watching it being lifted off.
The amount of snow we had to remove in the shop was a huge task, along with insulation, broken boards, insulation, conduit, on and on.

We are all just wore out today.
Heres a few shots of todays progress.

Thanks to ALL.

Ps. My youngest son said He heard this happen about 4:30 in the morning. He didn't know what it was, just a strange sound. It's pretty quiet around here out in the sticks that time of the morning.

Last edited:
Man Steve,

That's a mess-o-snow you got there! :eek:

Four thirty in the morning, huh? Good thing you weren't out there getting an early start on a project.

It's great seeing things getting cleared up, ready for the rebuild. Godspeed and be safe...

- Marty -

Steve have you removed all your tools from the inside of the building until you get it re roofed? If so did you find an alternative plce to store them until you move them back in?

Kinda looks funny to see that big ole woodburner sittin there looks like it is going to heat the great outdoors

Steve have you removed all your tools from the inside of the building until you get it re roofed? If so did you find an alternative plce to store them until you move them back in?

Kinda looks funny to see that big ole woodburner sittin there looks like it is going to heat the great outdoors

Most of the machinery is under the roof we left intact for now, covering the shop office.
Many items got moved to my 2 year old addition, in the finish room and car shop area.
Plywood, materials will stay in place, covered with tarps.
Wood stove got raised up on one side a couple of inches, due to the roof structure pushing on the stove pipe. Thats a 8", 5/16" wall pipe there.
My sons hooked the boom cable onto the pipe, and pulled it back level. Thankfully it survived. I will have heat as soon as the roof is on.

Steve

Glad to see things are moving in the right direction, Steve. In the plus side, it looks like the weather is cooperating with you...at least you're not trying to work on it in a snowstorm.

Wishing you all the best -

Thats a 8", 5/16" wall pipe there.
My sons hooked the boom cable onto the pipe, and pulled it back level. Thankfully it survived. I will have heat as soon as the roof is on.
Steve
Nice stove pipe Steve; 8” Sch. 40 black pipe. I think I’ll run down to the hardware store first thing in the morning and pick me up some of that. Tell me though… does it come with crimped ends that slide together nice, and in two foot lengths? At 28.55 lbs/ft I don’t want to handle very long pieces of it.

Thanks,
Frank

Steve, I"m going to go out on a limb here. From the last pics you showed us, I'd say that you're making that new shop skylight just a teeeeeensy bit too big. :eek: :D :D

Looks like it's slowly but surely coming along there Steve.

Steve,

Just seeing this now as I didn't check the site all weekend. Man, all I can say is I'm terribly sorry to see this happen to anyone, let alone someone like you. I am glad to see things are moving along and that you have so much help. That is always a great thing. My best wishes go to you and your family. Be safe out there, you'll be making sawdust again before you know it.

take care
chris

just got back steve

i was away this wknd and just caught up on yer plight.. i was going to suggest the sane thing steve did in reguards to 4 ctrs what are you running for carriers? if you do i like we do up here you could go with 4 ft ctnrs.. the purlins your running should be beefed up as well in my opinion but your son knows what goes in your parts. glad you ok and things are gettin back together.. take care bud

Steve, it looks like your sons and you form a great work crew. :)

Do, you have some idea yet of when the shop will be back in operation?

Hopefully I'll be cutting some wood around the 11th.
Everything won't be fixed, some equipment, upper side wall insulation and sheeting, blown in insulation, etc.

All of my dust collection hose, elbows, blast gates, etc, got wiped out.
My dual router table for rail and stiles took a hard hit, but I can make due with it till I get caught up some.
A lot of the small stuff that will need to be fixed will get put off till I just have to have it.