My Shop Roof Rebuild

Nice stove pipe Steve; 8” Sch. 40 black pipe. I think I’ll run down to the hardware store first thing in the morning and pick me up some of that. Tell me though… does it come with crimped ends that slide together nice, and in two foot lengths? At 28.55 lbs/ft I don’t want to handle very long pieces of it.

Thanks,
Frank

That stove pipe is a story in itself, how I got it up there after I built my woodstove.
It started as a 22' length.
I needed 18', so I cut 2 9 footers. I had to put a damper in there also, a homemade one.

Todays progress was almost a total waste.

Lumber yard could not deliver the truss material due to their lot being snow covered.
So James and I hooked up my trailer, and fired over there, blazed a trail through their lot, and loaded the 20' 2x10's, and all the truss material.

Coming home, I had a hickup. What I call a DA MOVE.:(

Thats, Don't ask, and also another name I can't repeat here.;)

All I can say about this road home is, It's downhill, slicker'n snot, and curvy.

Seven hours later, after having the road blocked, [luckily it's not well traveled] We got home at almost 6:00 with truss material.

Damage to the rear quarter fender, trailer corner pushed the tire off the rim on the truck.

So no trusses got built today. But they will get built tomorrow, and probably set. We have to get the boom truck back over here though.
We came and got it to get my truck and trailer out.
80' boom cable, a zillion straps and chains, we got it pulled straight so I could finish sliding down the hill home.

Last edited:
Think of it this way: You're using up all your misfortune this week. The next several years should be clear sailing. Keep your head up, man. You'll be laughing about this whole thing someday soon.

:)

Think of it this way: You're using up all your misfortune this week. The next several years should be clear sailing. Keep your head up, man. You'll be laughing about this whole thing someday soon.

:)

What I told my son James after I snapped that pic. Thirty years from now, you can look at that picture and say. Man, what a MOVE the ol' man did back then:eek: ;)

Well Steve I have just now found this thread after all the changing around that Vaughn did on the site.:doh: I have been thinking about your problems all weekend long and today thinking all the time that you were just too busy to let us in on what the heck was going on. Wow you've really got quite a mess going on there as I suspected that you did. Your driving skills ain't much good either:rolleyes: but that does look like a really slick road there. Shoulda been driving a GM product I suspect. ;) Having that trailer loaded hind end heavy didn't help you any at all now did it.

Looks like you are at least gonna fight your way outa this mess :doh: so I'll just wish you good luck and keep checking in on your progress now that I know where to find the thread.

Wow Steve,
Sorry about the slide and jack-knife, but just more evidence that you are virtually unstoppable. Keep it up and know that we are pulling for you.

That stove pipe is a story in itself, how I got it up there after I built my woodstove.
It started as a 22' length.
I needed 18', so I cut 2 9 footers. I had to put a damper in there also, a homemade one.
So that’s why the damper is so high… I had just imagined that you are a really reely tall guy! The pics of the stove pipe remaining above the fallen roof remind me of images of well constructed brick and stone chimneys standing above the ruins of homes destroyed by other calamities. Good work.

I know you’re plenty busy right now, but I’d be interested in hearing the story of that pipe raising sometime. Once upon a time I was in woodstove manufacturing, and the topic is still somewhat dear to my heart.

Being the man you are, with the capable progeny you have, I’m sure you will find the silver lining in this cloud.

Best to ya, guy!
Frank

Steve, did you accidently kick a puppy oooooorrrr maybe make too many prank phone calls when you were a kid or something? You are having TERRIBLE luck these days. Karma seems to be kickin' your butt.

You and yours are still okay though, healthy and safe, that's the main thing. I sure hope tommorow and the next days get better for you ol' buddy. Keep smiling..................

Dang it Steve, I thought I was the only one who could park a trailer like that :D

Did that once with three snowmachines on the trailer, downhill, into a snow bank, not much fun then either!

Glad you and yours are OK.

I agree, I think you are unstoppable! :thumb:

Man Steve, sorry to hear about the truck and trailer mishap. On the plus side, those kind of accidents usually happen slowly enough that nobody gets hurt. On the downside, they happen slowly enough that you have time to start kicking yourself in the butt before you're even done moving.

Here's hoping that after a night of rest, a little regrouping, and a pot or two of coffee, Tuesday ends up working out better for you. Hang in there man, we're all pulling for you.

Sorry to see you had MORE bad luck Steve, but good that it was only metal & rubber that got Bent. If you do have to go get more material with that trailer while the roads are still icy, you might use my old trick, and lay two 55 gal drums down in the bed of your PU, block them so they won't move, and fill them with water, then the trailer won't have such a tendency to lift the rear tires of the PU, and PUSH the PU around. Just be sure to fill the drums completely so they don't slosh.:rolleyes: :D

Steve
So sorry to hear about your shop. I've been away a few days and just found out.
Now I am really worried about my own which has maybe 2 feet of snow on it.

Brian

driving skills

well steve one thing is for sure when it rains it pours right. glad you didnt get hurt and are able to laugh about the mishap now! they make new trucks but not new you's or sons either... been there done that and downhill on ice isnt fun.

Steve,

I haven't taken time yet to say how sorry I am that you suffered this astounding damage to your shop. I hope you recover quickly.

I do want to complement you on the strength of character that I see in you as you deal with the situation. That is no surprise to me, as I think I have come to know something about you through the forums. I suspect that you have passed that strength along to your sons. Aren't they a great asset to you right now?

Keep safe,

Jerry

Much better day today.

My mishaps comes in threes.

Someone dies, there usually two more.

My truck battery dies, I usually have 3 new batteries within a month or two.

My shop roof fell in, my accident. Thats two.
I'm watching for # 3:huh: :eek: :huh: :dunno:

Got the 6 main trusses built and set three before we quit this evening.
Pic only shows one truss set. It was too dark to show the three that are set.

Should be able to set the other three tomorrow. One is going to be joined to one old truss that is still there in place.

Will get the sheeting nailers on also. Probably not all of them, as there will be 1280 of 2x4's to nail in place.
Sheet metal is supposed to be here sometime thursday.
Weather is supposed to be good till the end of the week.:D

Last edited:
My mishaps comes in threes.

Someone dies, there usually two more.

My truck battery dies, I usually have 3 new batteries within a month or two.

My shop roof fell in, my accident. Thats two.
I'm watching for # 3:huh: :eek: :huh: :dunno:
Steve, I was thinking that because so do mine :( , but I never would have said it first. Maybe it won't happen this time. :) . Hey, I dinged the bumper of my car today :eek: . Maybe, we can get together and combine misshaps.

Much better day today.
Got the 6 main trusses built and set three before we quit this evening.
Pic only shows one truss set. It was too dark to show the three that are set.

Should be able to set the other three tomorrow. One is going to be joined to one old truss that is still there in place.

Will get the sheeting nailers on also. Probably not all of them, as there will be 1280 of 2x4's to nail in place.
Sheet metal is supposed to be here sometime thursday.
Weather is supposed to be good till the end of the week.:D
That is one very substantial looking truss!

Keep up the good work Steve; we are all cheeering for you.

What I told my son James after I snapped that pic. Thirty years from now, you can look at that picture and say. Man, what a MOVE the ol' man did back then:eek: ;)

Well DANG Steve-O, I am really sorry to see that picture of that pretty green Lariat all crossed up like that. :( Buddy, I have NO idea how you keep your sense of humor after all you have been through in the past week, but I gotta take my hat off to ya. ;)

This Friday is my last day of work until after the first of the year. If ya need some help, I am almost sure I can find my way south. Keep on hangin' in there! :thumb: