My Shop Roof Rebuild

Steve,

I have been watching the story closely but haven't had the opportunity to post until now. As a Show-Me Boy now living in the Land O Lincoln I know how those ice storms can come in, especialy down in your neck of the woods. It seems that when those storms roll through it gets just cold enough for sleet. Heavy nasty sleet. Had the temp dropped another 5 or 10 degress you might not have had the damage.

Hang in there

Dan

cookie monster

well mr steve now that you have gotten the mess straightend up some and have looked at the degree of damage,, did your cookie can get lost in the shuffle? i remeber you sayin that you had such a tool in yur shop a while back? possibly with all yur help being there you could use a refill, i thinki know of a place to get some replacments:D keep yur chin up and when i get down yur way i can have hotdog roast with the scrap.. wont bring along any more snow though

well mr steve now that you have gotten the mess straightend up some and have looked at the degree of damage,, did your cookie can get lost in the shuffle? i remeber you sayin that you had such a tool in yur shop a while back? possibly with all yur help being there you could use a refill, i thinki know of a place to get some replacments:D keep yur chin up and when i get down yur way i can have hotdog roast with the scrap.. wont bring along any more snow though

Lol. Larry I have no idea where that special cookie can is right now. :huh:

Things are a tad upside down at the moment. I have a jet edge sander in my finishing room for some reason. :huh: I cannot for the life of me figure out why its in there, as the paint is like new:huh: ;)

Had a great day today. The other three trusees are up and some perlins on.

Had quite a struggle with the last truss.
Its the second truss from the front. The front one is staying, no damage, garage door tracks are suspended from it, etc.

We were going to scab a new truss to the second one, beings it was so bad. Broken on the top.
We got to looking it over and we would of had to remove all the bracing, jack it up, on and on.
So we decided to just remove it. It was still tucked under the roof about 6". So it was quite a challange getting it out. We had to brace up the existing roof perlins that will stay.
Cut the ends of the truss, and boomed it out of there. We had some serious dust and crap flying there for a bit, but out it came.

The next challenge was getting the replacement in. Under the roof, and getting it set in the notched posts where they sit.
4 of us worked about two hours pulling, pushing, prying, beating it into place. But we got it whipped.
It was a long hard day for three old men and my son James, [pictured on roof].

Tomorrow the temp is supposed to be a high of 27 :( , and my son has to take the boom truck back down to the lake on a 5 story condo job to set some floor joists.
So the crew will be limited tomorrow.
Looks like it will be cleanup day, as all around the shop looks like a garbage dump at the moment. Broken trusses, tin, insulation, you name it, its there.
So a little cleanup, and pull all the nails from around the ridge board.
Metal sheeting will be delivered sometime tomorrow.
Weather is supposed to be back to around 50 friday, son will be back, so we should have some tin on friday.
Hopefully saturday and sunday, it will be leak free, without the stars shining down on us.
They are calling for rain next tuesday, so we have to stay after it.
I'd hate to loose 8-10,000 worth of cabinet material to rain.

Pay no attention to that ugly mugged guy in the last pic. My wife decided to snap pic of him:eek:

I've got to give my Wife some credit here. She's out here helping as much as She can, besides cooking dinner and cleaning up the messy kitchen floor for all of my sons and friends that are helping me, taking my business phone calls, etc.:thumb:

Last edited:
That is one very substantial looking truss!

Keep up the good work Steve; we are all cheeering for you.

Yes. Very heavy engineered truss.
And My son upped the strength.
Drawing showed 2x8 top, 2x8 bottom.
He made them with 2x10's on the bottom.
We ran out of plywood for the brackets, so I found enough scrap oak and maple ply to finish up the last truss.:eek: ;) :)

Steve your last post answered my question...

That question would have been.... How did you get those trusses shipped into you so fast?

Seems trusses have become a mfr'd process, but you guys apparently chose to build your own

Good job!

Joe

Steve your last post answered my question...

That question would have been.... How did you get those trusses shipped into you so fast?

Seems trusses have become a mfr'd process, but you guys apparently chose to build your own

Good job!

Joe

Yes. We had no choice, we had to build them due to weather, and the truss co. was out about 3 weeks before they could get any built.

So James called his truss co. and had them fax a drawing for one they spec'ed for me.
Then He built them here in the shop floor.
These are 39' 9" trusses.

Way to go guys!

Looking good Steve, always a good feeling to see them trusses up and the sheeting about to begin, start closing it back in.

I'd say to tell that crew of yours there doing a heck of a job...but I bet you already know that.

Thanks for the updates.

Looking great, and it looks like Ma nature is being kind, maybe she felt bad about the roof? :rolleyes:

BTW, you should have called this thread "RE-birth of a shop!" :thumb: :D

Cheers!

Good progress, Steve. Shoehorning trusses into an existing structure doesn't sound like much fun. Stay warm and get 'er closed in before the next weather hits.

Oh, and tell that tired old guy in the last pic to smile a bit...things are getting back on track in record time. You've got hundreds of folks
out here giving moral support. ;)

whayt a wake up pic.!

wow i have woke up to some less than expected things in my days but to see that fuzzy ole fart starin at me in that picture his wife took:eek: man i had aheart atttack. i am sure his wife deserves alot of credit for her work she is doing and i am for one am glad she got a picture of the ole buzzard finnaly i had noticed that he was conveintly out of sight in the others:D glad yur makin head way bud and dont let them others make you look bad, keep crakin yur whip.

Steve

Keep that energy flowing! Looks like you're making good progress, great to have that big team supporting you.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date.

Jay

Man. I wake up to be called cute:eek: and looking like a wet puppy:eek:

Woooweeee:huh: :huh: :huh:

Today will be pretty much cleanup day, as it's gotten pretty junky looking around here. My place looks like a storage area for a demolation company that save the usuable junk.

James had to take the boom truck to the lake, [we are done with it ] and won't be back till tomorrow.
Pretty chilly here today, with wind, so even though the roof sheeting will be here today, I won't let anyone up there trying to muscle 22' sheets around in this wind.
I'd rather not see anyone using a sheet of my roofing for a flying carpet today.:rolleyes: ;) :D :rofl:

Steve:thumb:

Thanks all for the moral support:thumb: