My Shop Roof Rebuild

chuckles??

well i know you said you didnt want anyone flyin around on one of yur steel sheets but i recollect you goin fer a spin awhile back on the shuttle,, now i can easily see ya flying on one those sheets of steel. last i heard steve scrap prices were up so you can sell your damaged material. say that ruffled ford :) and get a Hummer instead.. better ground clearnce and got real 4 wheel drive built to take the trails you are callin roads. now seriously you got good sense that steel and wind doesnt mix. we knew that behind that rough ragged exterior there really was some common sense.. mrs clardy saw it too:D

Yes. I'm going to have a 16' trailer load of scrap metal to haul off.
None of it is worth saving:(
Oh well.

Not much to show today. Had a major clean up inside, non outside.

Fired up the ol woodstove. Had to stand very close though, due to no roof to keep the heat in.

Last edited:
All that repair work is lookin good, not to say much about the photo your wife took of you but at least we can see that you are still vertical.:thumb: It was windy as the dickens around here today too and nobody in their right mind would have been laying sheet iron today. I guess you are also gonna put styrofoam insulation underneath the metal and that would have been even harder to handle.

You are actually a very lucky guy to have things going your way right now with all that happened earlier in the week. I'll bet you know that thought huh??:wave:

Thanks Jim.

No styro this time on the roof. My old roof still sweated and dripped the way it was.
With the new ceiling [which I didn't have before] I'm going to have insulation blown in. At least 12". Haven't priced it yet though.:huh: :dunno:
If I can, I will go with 18" up there.

I loosley priced getting it at HD last weekend for my shop. IIIRC, it was going to be about 230.00 to do R-30 for a 20X24 shop. HD and Lowes here will let you borrow a machine if you purchase X amount of material. 2 person job, one to blow it in, the other to keep the hopper fed. If I did batts of the same value it would be at least double the price. Of course, you may not have a HD or Lowes close to you, so... Jim.

Hi Steve
.... I am just catching up to your disaster and sorry for you that it happened. All things happen for a reason and lets hope the end result is a positive one. Must say you did turn it around in a hurry and that in itself is a good sign. Like others, I am sure, and especially if you were closer by, I would lend a hand but you now seem to have a good grip on it and I do wish you the best.

Boyd

:thumb:

Todays update.

Ready for sheeting tomorrow:thumb: :D
All my help is wore out from climbing up and down.
The boys will be here tomorrow, plus a few more friends.
So the sheeting should be all on sunday sometime.
Still have to remove 40x13 of the old sheeting that is covering the front.

Last edited:
It's looking good Steve. I guess Mother Nature is saying "sorry" since she has been providing sunny, if not warm, wheather for you! Hope you have it dried in before you do get any more weather!

ya mean you gota go take shower ? ya sasid you gotta got to go do alot of cleanup taday. dont scrub ta hard steve we need the fury face to idntify you.. well i see ya got yhr sheetin on and yoou gonne get sum insulation in your atic so you can be warmer from now on.. good id4a i wouldnt want o be to chilly when i come fer a visitL:) glad t6o see your doing grerweat on the rebuild' oh jist one more thing you do still get deliverys right? be sure to accept the the next one yur bud frum up north:)

Almost got it dried in today.
The boys screwed down 39 sheets of 22' tin today, out of 44.

So theres 5.5 sheets to go, end caps and ridge cap, and finish the flue pipe cover, it will be water tight:D

No pics today due to being totally wore out.

That's great Streve!

I never heard the term "dried in" before. I like it and will use it.

:rofl: Thats funny. It's so common around these parts even none construction people understand dried in. Of course I am sure you have terms we would go HUH at.

Congrats Steve, I know you glad to be "down to the short rows" ;)

Ever heard that one Frank? :rofl:

Great guns and yes I do understand dried in:wave: Funny how some sayings are regional. So glad you can't see the stars from the shop floor anymore. You can also soon begin working in doors again hanging the ceiling and such. Looks like your gonna get done before the rains start next week.