Shop Dog

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Got a new shop dog a couple weeks ago. She's Shana, a fifteen week old Standard Schnauzer (NOT a mini).

Anyway, she's being 'indoctrinated' to shop companion duty, and is responding beautifully. She really likes the shop, and so far has found just about every wood scrap that was laying around, along with some rags, clamps, my old boots, and numerous other 'finds.'

She seemed fearless regarding shop noises. Didn't flinch when I was using the table saw, band saw, dust collector, shop vac, etc. Tolerated the Hitachi SCMS, but doesn't really like the noise it makes.

This morning, I turned on the router table (Hitachi M-12V), and she went nuts! Didn't like that at all. Ran around for a few seconds then went straight to the door. After a walk around the yard to calm her down, she didn't want to go back into the shop. I finally coaxed her back in, but didn't use the router again. Did use the Festool sander with the Fein vac, though, and also the SCMS, and she was once again fine with that. I'm guessing it was the high pitched whine of the router that bothered her.

So, now the question: Since many of you/us have animals in the shop regularly, what machines do they not like? Are they more sensitive to one tool or another? What, if anything, have you tried to get the pet to acclimate to the shop?

I really want Shana to enjoy her time in the shop as much as I do. Short of getting her some doggie ear muffs, :p I guess I won't be using the router any more when she's with me.

Attachments

• P1010653b.jpg
    P1010653b.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 50
Nice looking pup. I've always liked those big Schnauzers. Wonder if changing the speed setting (and resulting pitch) on the router would make any difference? China is pretty unfazed by everything except the brad nailer or anything else with a loud sharp popping sound (4th of July is a real bummer for her).

Looking forward to the responses.
As I am getting 8 week old
Habiness (sp) pup,
and would very much to train him to enjoy the shop.

I know there is going to be input and hearing loss, that is find
because I have 40% lost hearing and we could

do hand and paws sign lanaguge.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

the one thing i noticed jim is that my pooch didnt like the old shop at all but has seemed to like the new thus far havnt had much runnin in there yet but he hasnt acted scared in it like he did the other.. oh the new pup you have looks like he was related the gray and hair and stern facial expression.. they sau we pet owners get pets that match our looks and demaeanor .. well in my case the better half picked him out and he did like me:rofl::rofl:

Nice looking pup. I've always liked those big Schnauzers. Wonder if changing the speed setting (and resulting pitch) on the router would make any difference? China is pretty unfazed by everything except the brad nailer or anything else with a loud sharp popping sound (4th of July is a real bummer for her).

Don't know about the speed setting. It might help. I'll wait awhile before trying it, though. I don't want her spooked again too soon.

As for the air nailer - it doesn't bother her. I expected it to - my last dog went nuts at the first 'Pop,' but Shana doesn't even blink.

BTW, she's pretty mellow - when she's not tearing things up...

Attachments

• DSCN0469b.jpg
    DSCN0469b.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 28
Our mutt was a pound puppy and had something bad happen before he landed with us. He'll run out of the room when he hears any loud noise. Needless to say, the shop isn't his favorite place.:(

Good luck with your new pal - I hope Shana will enjoy her time with you in the shop!
Wes

...Dogs are my surrogate kids, so they mean a lot to me.

We feel that way about ours, too. They're family members. They get treated better than many folks kids do.

They're a lot of work - and sometimes expensive - to take care of, but they more than pay you back with their love and companionship. We usually have two around here at a time, but for the past two years, we've only had one. I lost my last on about two years ago - at thirteen years old - and it's taken until now for me to get over it enough to consider another one. Shultz and I were very close.

Shana quickly won me over, though.

The other dog - Bitsy - a six or seven year old rescue dog (mini schnauzer, mostly) has enjoyed being 'only dog' for the past two years, but has accepted Shana, albeit reluctantly, as her new buddy. They're running and wrestling together, and as long a Shana stays away from Bitsy's food dish. all's well. Shana's gonna get to be three times Bitsy's size eventually, so hopefully the 'pals' relationship will continue.