The building that sold my house

Joe Fisher

When we were looking for a house, the real estate agent took us to see this nice little raised ranch across from a quiet lake. There was a garage door on the front, so I thought that was the garage mentioned in the listing.

The house was nice, if a bit small. Then we walked out the back door and I was greeted with this sight.

garage1.jpg

"We'll take it."

Want to come inside? Alright. Watch your step around the bikes and various bits of Triumph paraphernalia.

garage3.jpg

Triumph, I hear you ask? Yes, my adorable little '78 Spitfire 1500.

stance.jpg

Here's the view from sitting inside the car. There's my forge, a couple of anvils, metal grinder, stereo and CD changer and microwave. For drying small turning blanks, of course.

garage2.jpg

On the right wall, behind the Triumph sits my compressor, dust collector, bass amp and various and sundry bits of rock climbing gear, camping gear, electronic junk and so forth. The loft up those stairs is full of summer clothes, Christmas and Halloween decorations and assorted crap.

garage4.jpg

And here are the Two Doors. Which shall you choose? The one to the left leads to certain doom! Or my wood room. One or the other. The one to the right leads into the workshop proper.

garage5.jpg

Let's take a stroll into the wood room first, shall we?

-Joe

The wood room doubles as my R/C plane building room. I've got a Hawker Hurricane on the board at the moment. Anyone need a Quickee 500 racer?

garage6.jpg

Here's the Hurri, along with some wooden molding planes that are waiting for me to build that hand tool cabinet...That table is one of the first things I ever made for the house. It used to live in my kitchen. I'm still quite proud of it :)

garage7.jpg

Look, it's wood! This is where I've stashed some of my turning blanks.

garage8.jpg

Alright, let's get on to the real workshop. Stop shoving!

-Joe

C'mon in. Watch your step on the air hose. I haven't installed the plumbing for air lines yet.

Here's the view as you walk in. My MM16, JDS750 air cleaner, Delta 2-speed lunchbox planer and Delta 8" jointer are all visible here.

garage9.jpg

Excuse the general clutter. Or not. That's just the way it is most of the time. I clean house before a project then the clutter creeps its way back in. When I'm doing lots of turning it looks like this most of the time.

I'm very pleased with this simple 2x6 bench. It's rock solid, heavy and flat. I'd like to add a face vise to it. I'm considering making a wood screw and going with a leg vise.

Incidentally, the sealed-off part on the left of the bench has an old furnace squirrel-cage blower in it. The top lifts off at the seam there and it's a downdraft sanding table.

Here's the view into the corner to the right. There's my Delta contractor's saw, router table and jointer.

garage10.jpg

Here's the view of the turning corner. You can see my Jet Mini and part of my Stubby S750 along with the snow shovel I use to clean shavings :)

garage11.jpg

And the rest of my turning wall, with my Craftsman tool chest, 8" Woodcraft slow-speed grinder with Wolverine jig, Craftsman drill press and the rest of the Stubby.

garage12.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the tour! Leave your nickel in the coffee can out front.

-Joe

Great tour, Joe. Nicely done on all counts. When we were looking for our present house, one of the places we looked at had a similar metal outbuilding. I'd have loved to have something like that available. You did a nice job outfitting yours, too.

(I left a dime in the cup...I didn't have change, and I figure I can cover the next guy who comes along and can't afford the tour,) ;)

I would have bought it too! :eek:

Now why didn't I think of that downdraft sander in my work table?
Great idea! I may end up borrowing that My work table is just under
8' long there is plenty of room. :huh:

Thank you for the tour Joe! :clap:

DT

PS: Thanks for the free ride Vaughn! :rofl:

Joe, I would have bought the shop I mean house too! Great job on the tour...I did almost trip on the airhose:D you really need to get the plumbing done for the air lines:p I think I might have to finally do a tour myself sometime soon.:rolleyes:

Hey Sam! You should stop by sometime and check out my bandsaw. You might want one just like it. ;)

-Joe