One "Person's" trash is another "Person's" treasure

As Jeff said, I have salvaged just about every machine in my shop in form or the other, still I will limit this post to three items.

The first is a picture of a "Secretary" type furniture thing. We were going to sell it as used furnature, but it got a big gouge in it on its way out of the house and thus I kept it for a shop cabinet. I use it to hold my power tools such as drills, routers and other hand-power tools like that. Only half of it shows up in the picture however.

The second is a picture of a broken locomotive windshield. Kids would often shoot BB guns at the passing trains and once they were dinged up, it was my job as a railroad machinist to replace the windshield. They were considered junk so I brought a few home. I used 3 as windows in my shop, and one as a platen for the Scary Sharp method. They are 3/4 of an inch thick, made of laminated glass and are literally bullet-proof as per FRA specifications.

The last item is of a Canedy-Otto Post drill press circa 1909. My Grandfather gave it to me, and yet I threw it out in the weeds not caring one bit about it. That was until he died and I felt guilt. It still needs rebuilding, but it does work!! It is located in the far right of the picture given.

Drill_Press_Tracks2-314x424.jpg

Scary_Sharp_Drawer_Open-452x335.jpg

Lower_Bench_Area-452x334.jpg

The last item is of a Canedy-Otto Post drill press circa 1909. My Grandfather gave it to me, and yet I threw it out in the weeds not caring one bit about it. That was until he died and I felt guilt. It still needs rebuilding, but it does work!! It is located in the far right of the picture given.

That's a great idea on the glass Travis, might we see some close-ups of that drill press? That's awesome! :eek:

DT

I was at the base dump a few years ago and ran across this old pantry. I just couldn’t let it stay there. :rolleyes: I don’t know how old it is but it was well made with clear pine and dadoes throughout.
I added the peg board doors.

Back when I had hair, :rofl: I use to get lassoed into making the base dump run now and then. I sure wish I had that job now!!!! I saw some great things just thrown away.

DT

The large drawer cabinets were purchased for $25 each from a local fabric store that was remodeling. They are all steel with full extension glides. I use them for holding tools and supplies. Each of the drawers will hold more than I could ever load into them as they were designed to hold hundreds of dress patterns.
After getting them home we simply scuff sanded them, laid on a coat of primer, and then a couple of finish coats of Krylon.
They keep all my sanders, routers, saws, nailers, and battery operated tools dust free and ready for use. Probably the best $75 I spent on my shop!
DSCN0858T.jpg DSCN0859T.jpg