Bill Grumbine's Skew demo

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

Well, on thursday evening, I finally got a chance to meet Bill Grumbine, at the montgomery county woodturner's meeting. It was my first time at one of these meetings, and they're a mostly quiet group. Except for Bill, I was the youngest one there, and that's saying something... ;)

The demo was excellent: I learned more just watching Bill than I'd learned in all my solo attempts. Never would of thought of leading with the short end, because I'm usually way too terrified to try something new. If I didn't have three remodeling projects breathing down my neck, I'd be turning spindles to beat the band.

Bill kept making jokes, but as I said, they were mostly quiet, so sometimes I was the only one laughing. One time, I started laughing when he hadn't made a joke. Bill looked up. I said "The reason I'm laughing is because I always do *that*, and I tell myself "If I were a real turner I'd be getting those marks out with the skew, instead of the 100 grit..." ;) Seeing Bill do it made me feel a lot better about my "technique"... ;)

Anyway, it was a good, laidback time. If you ever get a chance to see Bill turn, I highly recommend it...

Thanks,

Bill

HUGE "YOU SUCK" headed your way Bill!!:D

You got to meet Bill Grumbine, lucky guy, and you got to see him turn.......... in person........:thumb:

Big "SEE I TOLD YOU SO" from me and everyone else who suggested you check out a club etc, I learned more in one day watching Jean-Francois Escoulen Demo than I had in months of butchering wood by myself.

Now hurry up and get that flat work out of the way! :D :wave:

Stu,

Way too much remodeling right now... but there is good news. You probably remember that my beloved Doorlink flooded the laundry room one too many times, and in the process flooded the electrical panel, which is in the basement directly under the laundry room sink. So I'm ripping up the laundry room to put down a new (watertight) floor, and taking the opportunity to make a new dryer vent directly out the back wall (instead of through the shop). That meant ripping up the wall board to expose the studs (and finally getting some insulation in that wall) and running cable to make a new, repositioned 220 outlet. As long as I had the wall off, I figured what the heck, might as well run another cable up though the floor, and put a subpanel in the shop. Finished that about half an hour ago. So now, if I ever get a tool that needs 220 (not that I could ever imagine what that would be... ;) , I'm golden. Been wanting to do that for a long time...

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill

I was glad to meet you at the turning club, and I am happy to hear you enjoyed the demo. They were one of the quieter bunches, but from what my host said later on, I think it was because of the way I was waving that skew around that had everyone quiet. Maybe they thought someone might be stabbed. :eek: :rofl:

One of my goals in that demo is to demystify the tool. There are so many turners out there who demonize it, and they scare others away. I like to show people that one does not need to get a perfect burnished surface to be able to use the tool well.

If you wanted a noisier bunch, you should have been there on Saturday!

You got to meet Bill Grumbine, lucky guy, and you got to see him turn.......... in person........:thumb:

Stu, I would be glad to come out your way. All you need to do is get together with the guys in Hawaii and coordinate clubs, and I will make the trip! :D Of course, they might think I was in Japan for the Sumo convention... :p

You think there might be a Grumbine Skew DVD coming any time soon? I still ain't gettin' the hang of the durn thing.

Rich

Actually Rich, we were hoping to film the next DVD this month, but I don't see that happening at this point. And yes, there will be a significant segment on skews - maybe even more than one. :thumb:

And Ron, if I need someone to carry tools to HI, you might have to stand in line for that one. but I will let you know. :D

Bill